Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Logon...DNS Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorphus

MIS
Nov 29, 2001
US
I have a Win2K Server running AD, DHCP, and DNS. I have pretty much everything setup and working fine, except that it takes 3-5 minutes for XP to login, I have not tried any other clients since all machines will be XP. I added the server ip to the DNS entries in the DHCP scope, and that fixed the problem, but created a new one...no internet. This is all a fresh install. I tried to add a lmhosts file on the XP machine and that did not work. Network speeds once I get logged in seem to be fine, copying files and browsing are good. Any suggestions to speed up login time, and be able to surf the net?

Are your ISP (or corporate) DNS servers entered into the DNS section of your DHCP scope as well? ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

Yes the ISP DNS servers are entered as well. If I put them in the list first then it take forever to logon, but if I put the server ip in there, then I cannot surf the internet.

You need to setup your internal dns server to poll the Internet DNS servers. That way you will resolve your queries on your internal network.

This makes everything much more secure....

Steve

Thanks...finally got it. I had to delete the "." from DNS and then enable forwarders to ISP's servers.

Thanks again.

I have been having the exact same problem! Gorphus I am confused by you final post. What was your solution? If you could explain it a little more to me I would greatly appreciate it!

Sure...If you go to the DNS MMC, Active Directory created 2 zones under forward lookup, at least it did on mine. The first zone was simply a "." and the second was my domain name. Delete the "." zone, then right-click on your server name and go to properties. From there you should have a tab for Forwarders, enable forwarding and then enter your ISP DNS servers in the box below. For your workstations, just have the IP of your Win2k server for the DNS server and it will handle the forwarding for you. Email me if you are still having problems, jonathan@kznetworks.com.

Thank you very much. This has helped me greatly. I am forever in your debt.

This is a known issue that occurs during the setup of active directory/DNS in W2k. Knowledge base article Q229840 outlines this and a method to resolve it by deleteing the "." range. I found it easier to delete from the AD MMC than through the command line method shown in the article.

What it amounts to, is if your server cannot access the internet during dcpromo or installation/activation of AD/DNS then it assumes it is a root server for the Internet and adds the &quot;.&quot; range which tells AD/DNS there is no higher source for name resolution than this server. Deleting the &quot;.&quot; range gets the server back into real world <g>.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back