Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow logon and save time

Status
Not open for further replies.

diezilnj

Technical User
Jul 19, 2007
US
Network with only about 15 users running off 2 windows 2000 servers. Logon takes 2 minutes or more. There is a reoccuring error "The server {8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout." If anyone could help out with what the issue could be that would be great thanks!

More info please.

Are logons slow on the server as well and the clients?

Are you using roaming profiles?

How long has this been happening for?

Is it a new setup and if so check that your DNS is configured correctly, clients use your DNS server for name resolution and the server than forwards requests to the ISP.

only slow on the clients. They do not have roaming profiles. it has been happing for a month or 2 when that error message started.

Please post your DNS settings from your server and workstations - run IPCONFIG /ALL on a DC and on a problem workstation and post the results here. In probably 9 of 10 instances this can be traced back to problems in your DNS settings.

ok i will post that as soon as i can but how is logging through the server related to the dns. just so i know for future reference. Thank you for all your help

In a domain windows uses DNS to resolve resources like domain controllers if you have them set to query your ISP's DNS servers first then they cannot find your domain controllers because the ISPs DNS doesn't know about them. After a while windows will use a broadcast and should find the DC if there are no routers in the way but this slows things down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back