Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Iternet on W2K Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDaveM

Vendor
Feb 12, 2002
US
I have a question about why a "page" takes so long to refresh or to open thru a proxy server. The connection is a DSL and testing to connection speed says anywhere from 490 to 570 kps. But it takes longer then a dialup connection to open any page.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
dave

uncheck auto detect proxy settings if it is checked and click okay

Another thing was brought to my attention, this system worked fine, until the "Teddy Bear" virus alert. The client removed the files from all pcs, says since then the internet has been running slow.
Dave

Unchecked auto proxy, no page would load
Versin 6 IE. Yes he knows that it was a hoax. Can running sfc / scanonce restore the missing files?
Dave

Are you saying that when you go to the "Add/Remove Program" located in the Control Panel, it does not show "Microsoft Internet Explorer 6" ,yet it is installed on a Windows 2000 machine?

Yes, that is what I'm saying. I'm on my own PC now and it isn't there either.
Dave

Try going into C:\Windows\ Update Setup Files and run the ie6setup.exe. It will reinstall everything

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow. I did find that on my PC.
Thanks,
Dave

Okay, found and repair IE 6, restarted system, web pages still very slow to load. This client has 20 workstation on their internal network and all of them are very slow to load web pages.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back