Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTesla1886

Technical User
Mar 14, 2008
US
We are using version 24 on a Linksys wrt54gl version 1.0.

At least once a week, some times as many as 3 or 4 times a week the internet gets extremely slow. Extremely slow as in 165k down and 33k up and .999 millisecond ping time.

When it is working excellent like it is now I get 12791k down and 1793k up with a 20 millisecond ping, and these are not the best numbers we have gotten. We are using Comcast internet

Rebooting the modem and the router resolves the issue.

We have replaced the modem, replaced the router twice, tried the factory installed firmware, upgraded to the latest Linksys, used dd-wrt version 23 and version 24. We have also test the Ethernet cables between the modem and router and router and 24 port switch, for proper mapping and that all 8 conductors are good on both ends. Both cables test out fine. All to no avail.

Any body have any idea what the problem could be?

Kevin
Tektility Inc
Maximizing Potential Through Technology

What results do you get when connecting a PC directly to the modem and letting it run for a few days? I know that is a pain, but could you try it overnight or over the weekend??

When you say you tested the cables, you mean that you've tested them to be CAT5 or CAT6 compliant with a proper cable test (passing the test) and not just a continuity test.
If not, replace the cables as you've tried most everything else.

Also, as crazy as this sounds, is there any chance that someone on your network (or neighbors) could be using your connection for some heavy file sharing activity, thus sucking up your bandwidth.

Have you contacted Comcast when the problem is occurring?? They would be able to see what's happening on your modem at that time.

One of my clients is having this problem. They have about 8 computers on their network and work six days a week. So having the internet connected to just one computer would be pretty hard to do.

As far as testing the cables, I have a Fluke 620 LAN meter that among other things will display the cable wire map. Both ends of the cables are the same and all 4 pairs are complete. I have not certified them.

As far as someone using our network, we do have wireless but it is secured using WPA. Of the PC's currently connected via Ethernet the most any one computer is using is 7% with 37 connections. Their is one wireless user currently connected but they are not sending nor receiving.

I have contacted Comcast and they are yet to be any help. We have had them out twice. The first it was working so the tech would not even check anything. The second appointment was for between 8:30 and 11, the tech did not show up until after 12. My client had me get the internet back up around 10.

Yesterday I took my router from home and installed it at my clients location and within a half hour it had slowed down again. I had backed up and restored the router configuration. I brought theirs to my office. I performed a hard reset by pressing the reset button. I then reconfigured the router. I am going to reinstall the router today.

Kevin
Tektility Inc

Okay..... If the modem and router have been replaced (even temporarily) and cables don't seem like the issue, then it must be with Comcast or on the LAN side of the network.

Can you unplug PCs temporarily during the slowdown (one by one) and see if things improve as you unplug??

Have you done a virus scan on each one - preferably outside of the operating system using a boot disk (such as BART PE running Mcafee command line scanner with up to date definitions)?

That would put my mind at rest that you're not blasting out telnet or ftp from a virus-based source on the inside of the lan.

I reinstalled the router this morning at around 10 am. I also just for kicks replaced the cables between the modem --> Router --> and switch. Every thing is work pretty good thus far, or atleast with in acceptable numbers.

All computers are connected to a Windows 2003 Server via a 3 com switch. They run Quick Books and store data on the server. We also use AVG Anti Virus with remote administration from the server. Every one can get to the server just fine with no problems or delays.

With the hard reset and having replaced everything, if it does not work now I am officially putting it in Comcast hands. I am trying to get them to replace the coax, splitters and splices etc between the modem and the pole.

Kevin
Tektility Inc

With your router in between, they'll be cranky about re-doing the wiring, but it may come down to your will being stronger than their crankiness. Be assertive and ask them what else they would advise before they commit to rewiring.

Also, document what you've already done so that they don't think they're dealing with a know-nothing.

The only thing that has solved deceleration of internet speed (and mine does it too over time) has been to reset to factory defaults via the admin pages (not the button) and then restore the customized config from a stored cfg file.

Remember when doing this you are flipping from using your own password to the factory password and back again or else you'll wonder why you can't access your router admin pages anymore.

These routers (I have a WRT54G) do not seem to like customizations. The default configuration seems to always work, but as soon as you tweak it at all you run into problems.

The other theory I have is a memory buffer or logging must be filling up and not clearing and thus the factory resetting wipes the memory clean of all garbage collected data over time.

Power issues (outage and surge) also definitely play a role in this unit slowing or dropping out as I've observed several times. I would also theorize that an older home with old electrical cables (or just 2 prong outlets) could also play a role in these problems.

I have seen this issue in more than one of these routers. Unfortunately it seems the best way to alleviate having to constantly reset it via admin pages is to leave it all set to complete factory defaults thereby not allowing implementation of security or any of the other plethora of features.

I just posted on here in another thread for the first time asking about my theories and what I'm forced to do constantly with this factory resetting so we'll see if we get any info.

Also, if you are doing the factory defaults reset via wireless computer you will need to flip from SSID on your computer from the customized SSID name to "linksys" to get a connection again to reset it with the cfg file. After that your old SSID will be reactivated and you'll go reconnect to that after restoring the cfg.

One other thing you can do is activate the LOG files in the Linksys router. The logs can provide good information when trying to troubleshoot problems like this. At least you can get some idea if the router is being attacked with DOS or whatever...

I find the logs very useful in my work...

....JIM....

It has been over a month since I did a hard reset on the router,and manually reconfigured (did not restore config from a back up file). We have not had any problems with the internet since.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin
Tektility Inc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back