Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow internet browsing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnthephoneguy

Technical User
Jan 17, 2005
US
I have a problem with browsing on my home PC.

When clicking on a web site, it is almost as slow as dialup. I have tried using Explorer and using Firefox and both are the same.

I suspected a DNS issue, but when I ping a site name it comes back instantly with no delay, and no problems with the ping. I can load up the only game I play (BF2) and it shows me as having a great ping (15ms) to a server I am a regular on. No issues whatsoever with gameplay.

I have done speed tests on Dslreports.com and speed tests come back great. (after waiting for the page to load)

What would cause problems only with browsing?

System is an Asus P5B with E6600 Core 2 Duo
3 gig ram
2 150G HD in Raid 0
Internet is Verizon Fios 20/20

Thanks

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Just a few questions to start:
[ol][li]What Security Program(s) do you currently have installed?[/li]
[li]What version of Windows?[/li]
[li]When did the problem start?[/li]
[li]Have you tried clearing your temporary Internet files, cache, etc - as Ben mentioned in the original thread?[/li][/ol]

For reference, the original thread was posted here: thread602-1512449

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I might also add:

5. What site(s) does this happen

It could be a DNS problem or it could be your internet provider, too. Start with the suggestion already provided, i.e. CCleaner, cache, etc. Then we can work with HiJack-This. If all that comes back OK then we can look at things like trace route.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

What caused my office's slow browsing was quite a surprise...a RAT had gnawed through some of the Cat5 wiring, leaving enough to maintain a connection, just not enough for a FAST connecton.

In your case I would (and you probably already have) try the simplest things first: replace the cable, run msconfig to check startup items, connect only one PC to the broadband modem, bypassing your router if possible and restarting the modem in between.

Tony

Users helping Users...

and check the original thread, I've posted a few suggestions there as well...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I did try all of those ( I did not look for any rat problems lol) and nothing worked. I had cleaned/cleared everything and it was not working on every website I went to, though pinging to the same site came back quick and clean.

Only because I had no problems with pinging or the game I had, I decided to reload XP. That fixed it. I still have no clue as to the root caus eof ht eproblem as nothing had been changed on my end. I had looked through hijack and didnt see anything, and had previously cleared out everything I didnt have to have using MSCONFIG.

now I have no troubles, but I didn't learn anything from it.

Thanks for the tips/ideas/suggestions!!!

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Sorry you had to fix it that way, but then again, a good reinstall is usually good to have every once in a while anyway. Especially if you make lots of system changes, installs, uninstalls, etc. I know I'm in bad need of reinstalling my system again, but I just keep fixing it with duct tape an bailing wire as it were until I want to take the time to reinstall my own system. ;0)

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Sound like a case of Windows Arthritis. ;-)

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back