Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow IE browsing and Internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ysommer

Programmer
Feb 26, 2001
Hi,

I need your help.
I am running on Windows XP 2005 Media Center Addition.
I use ZoneAlarm Personal edition as a firewall and Avast as an antivirus.
When I checked my bandwidth through bandwidthplace.com I got 1.3 MB (I have DSL).
My problem is that the browing with IE is very slow, I can't download any files with IE and with some microsoft software it won't connect to the internet.
With FireFox my browsing is fine.

Any suggestions what to do or check?

Thanks,

Y

Sounds like you have some spyware. My advice go on firefox to the link below. Run a full system scan.

When done, download hijack this from the link below. Extract to desktop or prefered folder. Open it, choose do a system scan and save a logfile. Post the logfile on here and unless your absolutely sure on what your doing do not attempt to fix anything as most items are legit.

Removing adware & spyware
Before Posting a Hi-jack log file - Best Practices
FAQ608-4650

Make sure your options in IE/ Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced are correct.

Uncheck the boxes for "Install on Demand" for IE and Other programs (two boxes).

Try running temporarily with the third box "Enable Third Party Browser Extensions" unchecked and see how this goes.

"This specifies that you want to disable features you installed for use with Internet Explorer that may have been created by companies other than Microsoft.
If you encounter problems with Internet Explorer that you cannot resolve, you can use this option to help determine if third-party features are causing the problems without uninstalling the feature. You must restart Internet Explorer after turning this option on or off."

If that stops your errors, you will know where the trouble is.

Internet Explorer Fix

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

This thread talks about various settings you can check to improve your browsing speed.

XP Browser problems
thread779-1055181

Run an anti-spyware program first then do an "sfc /scannow"

if it still doesn't resolve your issue then reinstall IE 6.0 sp1 from
I would guess it an IE issue or your firefox would browse at the same speed, but it's just my guess.

good luck!

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back