Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a Dell Optiplex GX1(500Mhz) with two Maxtor 6GB HDs. One day while on the computer, everything suddenly slowed about 60%. I have tried switching the master and slave HD's around to see if that would help. Nothing. I have re-installed 98SE, ran scandisk and defrag, but nothing seems to help.

u may have a virus on the boot sector,try to use antivirus or even format it if it doesn't have important information.
and if any1 can reach ur computer,he may have played with ur cmos setup program to disable internal or external cash or any other setting,check that
or maybe the fan of ur processor doesn't work good as before so the processor temperature gets high soon and ur computer slows down
good luck i can help
mselim2001@yahoo.com

I was not to clear on my original post. I have formated both drives and used fdisk on the MBR. I then re-installed 98SE but still have an extremely slow computer. Even with a new IDE cable there is still slowness. Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back