Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Going

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikermann

Instructor
Jan 22, 2002
US
OS X 10.6.8 : Recently TimeMachine copied everything to external backup drive; erased disk; TimeMachine reloaded everything (all returned to where it had previously been; grateful for that!); now it seems like overall MacBook is slower when loading/opening stuff; have DiskUtility'd it several times and it tells me Things Are OK, but am wondering 1) whether m mind has sped up, resulting in everything else seeming to be markedly slower (unlikely), or 2) if there is something cranky going on with this ol' MacBook ...

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Much appreciated.

Assuming you are speaking of the Macbook that you spoke of in the other post, I would remove and test the HDD outside of the laptop. General HDD life, non-SSD that is, is around 7-10 years when in constant use depending on manufacturer. Since your laptop is a 06 model, might be time to test it. I would back up anything important you do not already have backed up before testing in case of catastrophic failure.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Thanks for the response. I had replaced the HDD about a year ago, so that's new; am in process of replacing & upgrading RAM cards today, so will see if that makes and difference. Again, thanks. Merry Christmas & all those other festivities!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back