Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow going to a Network Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshFink

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2003
US
Ok.. This problem is very strange... I have one laptop that I use 99% of the time. When I go to a network share, i.e. \\24-WKST\D it takes a little while to get there, or at least to resolve it seems.

If I go to another computer, run XP Pro as well, on the same switch no less and I type in \\24-WKST\D it goes right away and no waiting at all.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Josh

Josh,

Check that the DNS servers on the laptop are the same as that on the desktop. To do this, open a command prompt and type:
IPCONFIG /ALL <RETURN>

If they are the same, or not set, I would also check the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS file. This is plain text and check if there is an entry for the server - or not.
If they are still the same- or non existent, it may be that the laptop is addressing the server by name, but the desktop is accessing them via its IP address (eg \\192.168.1.1\share rather than \\Server\share) as these don't need to be resolved.

Also if the laptop is used outside the company - is it part of the domain, or is it part of a workgroup with the same name as the domain - so it has to authenticate against the server every time it accesses a network resource.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back