Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow DSL line caused by the VPN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen1c

Technical User
Dec 31, 2004
GB
My employer has kindly installed a DSL line in my home similar to my own home DSL which downloads at around 3000kbps. However, my employer's DSL via the VPN is downloading at only around 5-600 kbps and is a bit unstable. The line has been checked and the router reset and its only when I access the internet via the VPN that this occurs. When I disconnect or surf without the VPN, the speed is up to the other home connection of 3000kbps

Before I go to them, I'd really like to know if there is some technical reason why this is happening. I suppose it may be (eg) to save bandwidth?

I don't know, but would appreciate any advice given

Thanks, Stephen

I believe some ISP's throttle ipsec traffic. I don't want to get into the reasons but many offer vpn services..... Call them up and ask them. Traffic lag caused by encryption is processing delay, and would be caused by the amount of processing being undertaken. If the device doing the encryption is well up to the job and the circuit is good in cleartext then it sounds like its being engineered by the ISP through the ports used by ipsec. I initially thought it could be you MTU size but that would cause no traffic to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back