Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow DSL Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cargo23

Technical User
Sep 24, 2003
US
I recently upgraded my computer from windows 98 to XP. After I completed the upgrade my Verizon DSL connection became very slow, almost to a complete stop. In many cases it does not even bring up the web page.

I have made sure there are no viruses, I have 384 MB of DIMM, I have deleted cookies and temp files, I have done the system defrag, etc. But my internet speed seems to be slower than when I used 56k.

I contacted Verizon and they just went through the standard delete your cookies and keep your system clean routine.

Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing the decline in speed? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

I would check your Network Adapter settings to make sure it's set to "autosense", because it could have been changed to half-duplex or something...stranger things have happened.

Salmans,

Thank you for your assistance. In the research that I have done online I have come across many sites that indicate if you encounter slower interconnet connections speads to change your network setting from automatic to 10-half duplex.

Not being familiar with network settings can you provide me with a brief understanding between automatic and 10-half duplex.

Also, any information on how to change the setting would be appreciated.

Thanks!

hi,

Windows 2000, and XP
1. Go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click on Local Area Connection for the Ethernet Card > Properties

2. Select Configure then Advanced

3. Look for Link Speed/Duplex Mode, Media Type, Connection Type, or Mode

4. Change from Auto to 10 H/D, 10 Base T, etc.

5. Click OK then Close

Thanks! much simpliar than I expected...always a good thing. Any idea which seeting would be optimal, Auto select or 10 H/D?

Look for the autosense, I'm not at an XP machine at the moment so I'm not sure exactly what it says. It should be some type of auto. In reply to your post, 10-half duplex is 10Mbps at half duplex which means the speed is 10Mbps BUT it can only transmit -OR- receive, it cannot transmit and receive at the same time (half duplex). Full duplex can XMT and RCV at the same time, much more efficient and results in a higher throughput of data.

"Do it right the first time, and there won't be a second time!"

My belief is that your MTU is at 1500, and needs to be at 1492 for Verizon DSL. Your RWIN values likely would benefit from being changed as well.

The absolutely easiest way to do this is to run the broadbandreports.com DSL "Tweak Test". At the conclusion of the test you can compare your results with thousands of other Verizon customers, write down the recommended settings changes, and download the free "DrTCP" tool to adjust your MTU and RWIN values as they recommend.

Every once in a while go back to the site and retest.

Strongly recommended:

Thank you for help with this issue. I have changed netweork setting to 100 Full Duplex, which seemed to creat a slight increase in internet speed from the auto select. However, it is still very slow! I will definetly try changing the MTU and RWIN in hopes that this will help. Again, thank you for your help and let me know if you can think of any thing else that may help....I should be an expert once this is over!!!

I have no idea where you are located, buy here in the Metropolitan Washington, DC area there has been substantial storm damage to power and phone lines.

I called Verizon Tech yesterday to have my DSL lines recertified, and while on the phone gave him the broadbandreports tweak results, and the Verizon local speedtest results:
He bumped the call to a more senior Tech who tested the DSL modem response as to the line speed and voltages being reported back from the modem.

What I heard back was that an anaolgue (voice) tap had been incorrectly installed upstream from me and that this was repaired.

So, have both broadbandreports.com Tweak results handy (believe me they use them themselves), and their native speedtest results (they believe they over-estimate things and are lousy, but have them); have the RWIN and especially the MTU at client and if used router set to 1492, and nicely ask them to do a line test.

If your upload and/or download speeds vary more than 10% for the service you are provisioned for, insist nicely there is a problem and you want a "trouble ticket" issued to bring your line in conformance with your paid terms of service.

And be very nice. They can make an entry in the little customer information area of your account if you lose it when speaking to them that can really prevent you from having them pay attention to you ever again. Very nice.

I forgot to mention earlier, the Verizon user Forum at broadbandreports.com is terrific. The FAQ, the service status notices and other treats at the top of the Forum as links are incredibly good.

Ask your question there, or better yet, search the Forum. Everything there is by users helping other users, this is not a commercial site sponsered by Verizon. There are senior Verizon techs that are paid to answer questions on the site, but they will identify themselves as such.

Here are some tips for ya.. hope it helps

1.Make sure your telephone cable, connecting the modem to the phone
jack is not longer than 6 feet and is in good condition. Make
sure that you have filters attached to all your telephones and
fax machines.
2. Verify that the modem is at least 1 foot from any electronic device
including the computer, monitor and speakers.
3.Update the drivers for your Ethernet card.

this worked for me.. if you put an IP on you real network card 192.168.0.2 and subnet 255.255.255.0 , not on the Virtual connection but on the Physical network card you have faster bootups and my dsl speed increased aswell!!

Home this helps

Your comments are always appreciated
---------------------
Steve F
MCSE/CCNA HSE Tech

thanks everyone for your help with this issue...I made a lot of changes to the registry, updated my MTU and RWIN settings, deleted unnecessary programs, and much more! I'm not sure what the real winner was or if it was a combination of all the changes, but the internet is now running pretty good! So again, thank you for your help!

cargo23,
Glad you got it fixed. However, one thing that I did see go unmentioned was your PC specs. Upgrading from 98 to XP is dependent on the CPU and hard drive just as much as the amount of RAM. On a 400MHz PC or slower, Win98 can be blazing fast while XP can bog it down to a crawl depending on the number of processes running at startup.

Pentium II's and older Pentium III's usually came preconfigured with slow hard drives (ATA/66 at best with low-density platters). You'd be surprised how much a 7200RPM ATA/100 drive can make in these older configurations.

Also, a clean install is preferred over upgrading, especially when making the move from a Win9x kernel to an NT kernel OS.

Don't forget to run programs like Ad-Aware or Spybot to find and get rid of spyware.

Just wanted to throw out another perspective or two...

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back