Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcon109

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2002
US
We have 2 floors in our building,the first floor has a normal connection speed. The second floor is really slow. My best est is that we are under 100m limit of cat5. Both floor's connections come together on the first floor into 2 hubs and 1 switch. Its doesn't seem to matter if the slow connection is plugged into the hub or switch.

try moving the hub to the 2nd floor and uplink the switch to the hub

I am curious, how are you determining it is slow?
What is slow?
Why 2 hubs and 1 switch?
How is everything connected?
Was the cable ever certified?
Is it only 1 cable that is slow?

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

View the hub for the second floor connections and look for collisions.
If you have several heavy users on the second floor, they will certainly cause collisions on the hub, slowing them down.
I would suggest placing switches on each floor with a connection between them, or a sepparate switch for each floor located in one closet. If you have Cisco, you can span multiple links between the switches and run them in load balancing mode. I am not sure how other managed switches do it, but with Cisco you can do "Etherchannel". I wouldn't try multiple connections between unmanaged switches, as you will create a loop and shut down the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back