Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow connection speed, only at my house though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciaran

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
GB
I have a 3com US Robotics 56k Faxmodem.
I connect at 44kbps at my house but at my friends (using my PC with the same settings) i connect at about 50kbps.
I have tried connecting with only the modem plugged in (no other phones etc). I have tried connecting to the master phone socket. I have got BT to replace my line from my house to the pole, and i got them to replace the dropline which goes directly into my master socket. So when i connect from the master socket no old extension lines are used, its directly to the new line.
Also my house is less than 1 mile from the exchange.
Why am i still connecting at 44kbps?

...also people who use the same exchange as me connect faster. I am with freeserve but i have tried using other isps and i still connect at 44kbps.

Without beating a dead horse, either the devices or the wiring at your location are slightly less sucessful at providing a clear signal. 44k is a fine connect speed, nothing to be ashamed of. ( I got 26.4k on good days) I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

you can try removing all other phone like devices; phones, faxes, and answereing machines, etc. and try again or try running new wire from your extension to the demarc box, either might help. In general, better wire after that is out of you control I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Did the phone company change cable pairs from your pole to the exchange? Also, the line card in the exchange central office could be border line bad. The jumper connecting your line to the line card in the cental office might have a loose connection. It could be a lot of things. Telephone lines are designed for "voice" only. They were never designed for computers. I finally gave up on dialups because my cable pairs between me and the cental office are so bad. The phone company will never replace them as long as you can send and receive tlephone calls on them. They could care less about your computer connection. That is why they are loosing money, now. So many people ordered extra lines for their computers in the '90s that they were making good money---then broadband came along. They never upgraded their phone lines, so a lot of people (including me) had their computer line taken out. I would still be using a dialup(so much cheaper) if I could get a decent connection. I had to spring for broadband--even though it is costing me an arm and a leg.
By the way, 44K is an excellent connection speed!! "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [idea]

Hi Ciaran

I know I heep harping on about moden accelerators, but your situation is similar to mine. I dumped BT a few years ago and switched to cable. I run a 56K modem and normally connect at 54667 bps. My son shares my socket and uses a 10 metere extension cable and gets around 50000 bps.

My friend a few doors away, also uses a 56K modem and is on cable and only gets around 44000 bps. The only difference between my PC and my friend's is that I use a modem accelerator. Here's a link, download it, try it out. If it doesn't work for you, just get rid.

Let me know if it helps.
Regards
Phil [roll1]
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

I have to ask the obvious, do you have the latest driver installed? I had the same problem with the same modem. I know that you took your PC to your friends house and got a better speed but check on it anyway. Also, go to driversguide.com. I found a generic type driver for that modem and increased my speed from 44kb to 49333 using that driver. Unfortunately, I forgot the name of it and I purchased a different modem.

Yes i have the latest drivers installed, i get the same problem with winxp default drivers as well. Easy MTU didnt seem to work with winxp but i have tried programs like that before (that tweak registry settings) and they seem to have no affect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back