Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow browsing of Netware 4/5 server from W2K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2001
GB
We seem to have a problem browsing Netware 4 and 5 servers from Windows 2000 Pro. I have tried SP2 and Client 4.8 but this makes no difference.

When you open a folder it seems to be fine, until you scroll along about 15 files using the arrow keys. It's as though it is caching file information. It then pauses for ages and you can scroll another 15 or so. You also get the same problem if you just click randomly somewhere on a file.

I've also tried uninstalling Indexing from W2K, disabling Netbios and just using IP, but this made no difference. When the machine is pausing like this the usage time on the server goes up to about 40%. I thought that it may be a compression problem, but we have servers that aren't using compression.

The problem seems to be not so bad on NW5, but it is sitll there. Any help would be appreciated as we have hundreds of people with this problem.

There was a post on Novell's support connection website that discusses this particular issue. Seems there was a registry edit that needed to be done to get Windows 2K to work properly. I dont remember the TID number but if you go to and do a search for WIN2k slow, I am sure you will find the right answer.

HTH

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

Try this registery hack, it fixes the problem.

Also install V4.8 of the client plus SP3. Important

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back