Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow browsing mixed winxp/win98 se network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tierney

Instructor
May 28, 2002
I'm having trouble with a network that we put two new xp machines on. Its a mixed network of winxp pro and win98 se. Going via my network places can take anywhere from 1 min to 10 mins to get a response, printing (across the network) has become extremely slow.
So far I've tried the following

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace/{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} .. deleting this key and the other one under name space

HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\WorkgroupCrawler ... deleting the "printers" and "shares" values.

And uninstalled and reinstalled this patch on the server following this ms kb article ... You May Experience Performance Issues After You Install the 811493
(MS03-013) Package on Your Windows XP SP1-Based Computer

and the easy stuff ... uninstalling re-installing network protocols etc.

The server has an alcatel adsl modem (speedtouch 530) ADSL works extremely well and is not an issue. They're all running NAV 2002 and all have updated windows update. There's mainly only 5 machines including the server and a cd stacker running during the day.

I'm also presuming that part of the problem is this ... there is one network printer that wouldnt install properly so I've reinstalled it and its working fine BUT the old entry on the server (under printers and faxes) shows a status of "deleting" and has done so for the last 4 days.

I'm at wits end. Any and all help would be appreciated. The server was installed about 5 months ago (clean install winxp pro sp1) and the 2 new machines have been in for a week (clean install winxp pro sp1)

Tierney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back