Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow browsing folders in Outlook when adding attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Environment: XP workstations connected to a single Windows 2003 server. One switch that server and all workstations connect to.

When one workstation goes to browse the S: drive (shared folder on server) within Outlook 2003 to add an attachment to an email, it is very slow bringing up the folder contents. It might take 8 seconds for the files in a folder to appear.

Only one workstation has this problem and on the problem workstation, browsing the very same folders in Explorer or My Computer is very quick, normal.

I already upgraded the network card driver - no change.
I tried setting the Gigabit adapter from AUTO to 100/Full Duplex - no change.
I verified anti-virus settings (Symantec Endpoint Protection) so it doesn't try to scan network folders

I kind of doubt that it's network cable from computer to wall jack, switch port or wiring inside the wall because there is no other slow behavior going on.

Not sure where to focus my troubleshooting.

Have you checked in the Event Viewer for any clues?

Slow DNS, Logon Script Processing and Access to Mapped Drives.
thread779-1504452

Is it something like any anti virus checking the attachments that is slowing you down?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Does the WS in question have any unavailable shares or mapped or removable drives? Office tries to mount unavailable drives within the file open dialog, unlike explorer. This can cause significant delays when opening new folders.

Jock

I kind of think that Linney's suggestions aren't the issue as they have no login script and DNS resolution is fine, but I'll consider it. I should look at the event log for sure.

I'm going to check the mapped drive issue. I had read about that. When looking at most of the searches for this very problem, it was mentioned.

They SHOULDN'T but maybe they've been up to no good when I'm not around and sneaked one there.

Thanks - it may be a while before I get back on this.

I can vouch for the mapped network drive issue. But in my case it was opening Word.. when I deleted the mapped drive, Word went from slug to rabbit immediately. [smile]

Update - still no love trying to solve this one.

What I tried (see below) - nothing worked. By the way, it's Outlook 2003 and a POP3 mail account (no Exchange involved). Browsing to a mapped drive on a Windows 2003 Server from an XP SP3 workstation within Outlook. lenty of RAM on the PC, no malware. Other PCs don't exhibit this slowness.

Outlook in safe mode - doesn't make any difference
No mapped drives disconnected in My Computer
Tried with NO add-ins - still slow

Noted that CPU usage is very low while Outlook is "out to lunch" and waiting for folder list to be displayed.

I can't think of what to try next. Remember - regular network browsing of the same folder in My Computer is nice and quick and so it network access in general.

Will something like Process Monitor pick up any delay, maybe some thing has gone a bit "loopy", besides me that is?

Process Monitor v2.8

If the user logs on to a different machine do they have the same problem? If somebody else logs on to the workstation concerned are they having problems too?

Is it only adding Attachments that is slow, what about just sending mail (no Attachment)?

You checked Outlook's Safe Mode, did you try Windows "Safe Mode with Networking"?

On of our receptionists had the same Outlook problem... caused by a couple of obsolete printer mappings that were still on her machine, has a similar effect as obsolete mapped drives mentioned above by JockMullin... I'm guessing you don't have so many printers with running one server but thought it might be worth a mention.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Also
I tried setting the Gigabit adapter from AUTO to 100/Full Duplex - no change

Unless you change the switch at the other other you will get duplex mismatch.

i.e

PC
Auto
Switch
Auto

PC
100/Full
Switch
100/Full

Incorrect and you will get
PC
100/Full
Switch
100/half

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

The switch is a dumb switch, so I can't manipulate the settings on it. It's a 10/100 switch. That's why I tried 100 FULL on the NIC just for fun. I know all about mismatches.

I'm about ready to try a different network card, network cable and network port though all other network activity and email sending is normal speed/no delay on this computer.

Will try these out:
0. Safe Mode with Networking

1. If the user logs on to a different machine do they have the same problem? If somebody else logs on to the workstation concerned are they having problems too?

2. Screwed up/non-existent printers

Done/Did NOT work:
1. Is it only adding Attachments that is slow, what about just sending mail (no Attachment)?

2. You checked Outlook's Safe Mode

I forgot last week to mention this one. What about the size of her inbox. I've seen large inbox folders (not subfolders of inbox, but say an inbox with hundreds or thousands of emails) cause stability and performance issues in Outlook. If she has tons of stuff in her Inbox folder, try moving them to a subfolder, named "Read" [as in the color red] or something... and if she likes, she could divvy them up after the test, if it's found working.

It's for this very reason, that at work, since I have many emails that I DO want to keep on hand, I have several subfolders. If the email isn't one I'd delete, and doesn't fit the few specific names I have, I stick it in my other folder, callled.... wait for it....

"Everything Else"

Yeah, I know, my name is ORIGINAL. [bigglasses]

Anyhow, after I started doing that (I move the ones to the Everything Else folder just every once in a while), it did help my performance by a much larger margin than I EVER would have imagined.

Other users have similar size PST files and don't experience the slowness. Besides, once the PST gets loaded, attaching something to a new email doesn't really relate to PST size from my experience.

No PST size is NOT what I'm talking about.

The INBOX folder size, specifically. You can have a multi-gigabyte PST file size, but a small INBOX folder size, and perform better than a few hundred Megabyte PST file size, but with all the content in the INBOX folder.

Oh, and as a side note, it seems that with Outlook 2007, that issue is almost totally done away with... not 100%, but enough so that most people wouldn't know the difference. Well, that's at least the case, since they released one update 6 months or a year ago, I believe it was, that GREATLY improved performance in Outlook. At the time, you had to download it as a separate download, but I believe it's currently included in the MS Updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back