Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesch

MIS
Nov 1, 2002
US
I have a Dell PowerEdge dual Xeon 900Mhz, 2GB Ram, with a lot of HDD space. Loaded 2000 Adv. server, and every since I loaded Active Directory the sever boots-up really slow, It takes couple of hours to get to the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen, after that then it runs normal. DNS was loaded by AD, and have tested with “Nslookup” and all seems to be working, plus Netdiag tests show DNS is working ok. Our DNS is only used for internal use. This is the main server for the RID, Schema, PDC, and Infrastructure.
I also downloaded “Adcheck” from NetIQ, and this test says that the server is ok.
I also have found that if you load a second NIC that 2000 server binds the network to the last NIC, and tries to load everything to the last NIC installed, and this could cause delays. I also have TechNet, and have not found anything to this. Other sites I have found suggest that it’s the DNS, but what Good tests can I run to really show if it’s a DNS problem???? Anyone have any ideals???? At this point my boss is sick of this and is ready to downgrade (YES, Downgrade) it to Novell 6,Noooooooooooooo…

Please Help!!!!

Check your log files and see if you have any error messages. If not, then if you can, get rid of ad, then make sure dns is working and re-install ad. Don't really believe that's the problem, but it's all I can think of. Typically, I believe most people install dns first, not have ad install it for them. This is because dns has to be almost perfect for ad to work correclty. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

The only reason I let AD install and setup DNS, was that the instructor in the class I took, said this would be the easy route????? How we all listen to instructors!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!!!!!!
USAF

My first two classes I took on windows 2000 were taught by a gentleman who was on one of the teams that WROTE windows 2000. I defer to his knowledge. (I got lucky, I've taken a 3rd class, and I was teaching the instructor.)

[pipe] Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

Yea, man you said it "lucky" The instructor, quoted that all his training was at the MS headquarters and was trained by top MS guy!!!! He was pretty good, but a real D*@!head. He was quick to judge people. This month I found out his shop is going out of business. Executrain in Oklahoma City! So I heard????? If this is true I don’t know, I haven’t had time to research it!!!!!

Hi jamesch,

What service pack are you running?

I had this problem ages ago the sever took around 20 minutes to boot - I installed SP2 and the problem disappeared.

HTH

Ash.

I have TechNet and did find a document about problems like this pre sp1 if you have 2 processors. But I'm running sp3

Stay away from sp3 for now. It's not stable in my humble opinion. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

Glen,

Regarding SP3. I've just rolled out 'clean' Windows 2000 SP3 machines. (I've merged the SP3 into the Windows install) and I've found it to be rock solid. I wouldn't trust installing it on a non-clean machine or a server at this point though!

James just thinking back - maybe it wasn't SP2 that solved the problem. I *think* I also reinstalled AD and then went to SP2. I do remember though all diagnostics I did came to nothing. (First time DNS was installed at the time of DCPROMO - Glen could be right with his DNS theory)

Ash.

Ok, I'm going to reload this server from scratch if you guys suggest that SP3 is bad for now. I did reload this server from scratch the first time then loaded SP3 and then the updates. And from there installed AD. Will remove with DCPROMO, and start from scratch, and not install SP3. Will setup DNS first, then AD. Unless you guy think differently.

Any Major suggestion that you can give? (Glen, Ashley)

boot to safemode, to see if server boots without problems
look for services not needed. I have seen power chute for example make a server take about 1 hour before you would get the login screen.

Try porkradish's idea first. It's a good thought. Other than that, if you're not running a production server, demote the server, install DNS, then AD. (Always make sure you have a valid backup including the registry, and can restore before doing any of this stuff.) Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back