Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow backups after installing Norton Antivirus client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMT

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2001
US
Backups ran fine until the Norton Antivirus client was pushed to the Backup Server. Logs show throughput at an acceptable rate, however backups are taking entirely too long. Is this because all files that are being backed up, are being checked for viruses. If so, should I just disable the "realtime" scanning?
Thanks.

I would stop the Norton Service before a backup, or you could use the pre - post command in backup exec to stop and start the service automatically.

Tilo

Thanks Tilo.
Where can I find more information on the pre - post command?

If you have the 8.5 manual, you should find the information about these commands on page 77. There also some technotes about this on the veritas site under support.veritas.com

Tilo

The other way is to uninstall the Norton client and get the Norton AV server to run a sweep acroos the network.

Thanks Tilo and Zelandakh. I'll be sure to look into these options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back