Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow backup throughput on exchange 2003 databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

umbletech

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2006
Hi All

We're getting 11-20 mb a sec throughput on a FAS3050 using snapdrive 5.0 and snapmanager for exchange 3.2. We're snapping and then spooling it straight to LTO3 tape drives over 4 Gbps fibre. The backup software doing the spooling is IBM's TSM. A local TSM backup or one off a lun work at acceptable speeds so the problem doesn't appear to be the fabric or TSM.

I bailed up a netapp engineer at a conference recently and he suggested that I look at:

WAFL extent and the reallocate command

but I haven't found anything obvious - anybody got any ideas or extra tests to run?

How are you integrating TSM with the FAS? Are you using NDMPCopy? What version of Ontap?

Just to update this is ontap 7.4.2 no to NDMPCopy. TSM is just backing up the snapshot files by mounting the luns in mount points on the TSM server.

IBM tried their version of snapdrive 5 last week - no difference.

They're back next week to update OnTap and the firmware - will let you know.

Try Ontap 7.2.3 (the latest GD release) and Snapdrive 5.0D1. You should be using SME 4.0P1 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back