Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Backup Speed from AIX Server to Win2K BU Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattler55

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2002
CA
I have a backup network running at 100Mb physically independant from the corp. LAN.
All servers have at least 2 10/100 NIC's
Problem:
When I backup the AIX server over the 100Mb LAN to the Win2K Server running ArcServ 2000 Advanced. The job says it will take 31 hours and the speed is indicated at 1.5 MB/M or less. I do not have the same problem with 5 other servers that I back up. I have installed SP3 on all the other servers except the AIX box (does SP3 for AIX exist?)
I have verified the properties of the NIC on AIX and changed it to 100 FULL, but it still runs slow.
The AIX box has an internal backup device so I am not preasured on this one but the device has started to complain. It's old and failing. I want to get the AIX box into the backup farm with the rest of the servers. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

How are you connecting to the agent? Out of curiosity....

Are you sure you are specifying the agents address through the dedicated backup network.

Try a ping from your backup server to the AIX box, and then do a tracert ***.***.***.*** find out how many hops it is taking to get to the server, and find out which way its going.

hope this helps

g

Yes. I am connecting to the agent.
Yer. I am specifying the agents address through the dedicated backup net.
I have network connection to the AIX box.
No need to tracrt, the AIX NIC connects directly to the hub and the ArcServ Server connects directly to the same hub. No routers involved.

I have connectivity and can backup, but it takes takes over 31 hours for a 9Gig drive that is half full. Yes, physical drive not a volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back