Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Backup Performance DMZ Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike00s10

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2007
US
I am experiencing very slow backup performance when initiating a full system backup between the Commserve which exists on the inside network and our VPN server which exists in a DMZ. When performing a full system backup on a system within the inside network, performance is in the average range of 150gb/Hr. All servers have gigabit NIC cards, all running windows server 2003 R2 Standard. The only difference between the inside to inside and inside to DMZ backups is that the connection speed is limited to 100mb instead of gig on the inside network. The backup job for this VPN server averages 0.20gb/Hr and takes days to complete compared to 15-20 minutes maximum for the inside network servers. The firewall configuration utility has been configured properly on both the CommServe and the VPN server as well. I can sit there with the network guy here and watch the traffic in the DMZ and it just sits at around 1mb/sec the entire time, we are kinda stumped as to why it is so slow. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

how long does it take for a simple file tranfer from the client to the media agent?

Very very slow, even attempting to copy a very small executable (244KB) takes a good 50 seconds before the "preparing to copy" dialog box comes up when in reality it should take maybe 1-2 seconds to completely copy at most. The only other iffy area I am thinking about is maybe the interface between our Cisco ASA 5510 and the "cheapo" 3com switches coming into play here since the 5510 is only capable of 100mb interface speed and the 3coms are gigabit?

I downloaded the Resource Pack from the Dell Maintenance site this afternoon and ran the "diskread" throughput utility that simulates how a backup would read files, on both the VPN server in the DMZ and the Backup server inside it recorded a throughput of around 67 GB/hr to read a similar sized folder, not sure if this utility helps with anything we are seeing here however.

I think your firewall is throttling the data...check firewall config

Birky
CommVault Certified Engineer

forgot to say...long shot I know but, is there any way that the firewall can be disabled whilst you try and copy a file between the MA and the client in the DMZ? (would prove if it was firewall throttling but, unlikely admin will let you disable firewall to test)

Birky

I think we pinpointed the issue this afternoon in our test environment. Our test environment to start had the VPN server connected directly to the Cisco ASA and then to a 3com switch for the inside servers...file copies were fast as expected. Once we realized the setup was not the same as production we switched the setup to have the VPN server connect to a switch and then from there to the Cisco ASA. We attempted another file copy and the same results as production, very very slow. Upon further research into our 3com switch model we found a knowledgebase article that basically suggests that either both ends run on auto negotiate or it automatically defaults to 100/half. We had the cisco set for auto-negotiate and also the switch but it still would run at 100/half so it appears there is a slight incompatibility issue between the Cisco and 3com switches that we need to address.

interesting...thanks for posting your findings :)

Birky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back