Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow backup at Brick level - with Backup Exec 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lansti

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2008
NO
Hi.

i have some problems with a very very slow backup at bricklevel. I do only have about 100gb database, but veritas backup use a hole lot of days to complete. Last time i tried, i have to stop it after 5 days, and still it has backed up only about 1/3.

I can see that there maybe some problems with the drivers to the drives... As you can see in the picture(tape drives.jpg)...

i do have drivers for 1.0.4.0.

Nothing you can do it s limitation of MAPI as to why the mailboxes are slow.

I can't see your pic but this is usually a driver issue. 5 days is a long time!!

a) Update drivers.
b) Update BE.
c) Don't do brick level. Brick level *BAD*.

I have updated drivers, and the speed is better.
But when i try to update BE with SP1, it all goes wrong..
I hoped that sp1 and other patches would to the job, but at the end of the installation, i stops and action rollback..

I've been doing Brick level backups with both BE9.1 and BE10.5520 for the past 6 years. Brick level back ups are generally very slow. I've seen a slight improvement using LTO3 technology and a GB back bone.

Currently I'm seeing about 22hrs backing up 300GB of mailboxes. This still beats doing a restore without Brick level.

One thing that I did that helped was I went through the configuration of the exchange job and trimmed the fat from it i.e. Blackberry folders and other non-critical folders.

Paul

Brick Level Backups are awesome, they just take a long time to run. SteveOT is right.

A backup strategy that uses B2D and incremental changes to the Brick by Brick store should actually not be too bad. Remember, you don't need to back up the entire store via Brick by Brick, just the new stuff. You also don't need to do everyone's mailboxes... read on.

Remember what you're trying to do:
1. Infostore backup protects against losing the server
2. BxB backup protects your job when the big boss says he deleted and purged his email and needs it back NOW (and restoring the entire system is NOT an option).

I was able to get your picture to work.

As a test, why not try doing your Brick by Brick job to a Backup to Disk (B2D) location and see if the performance is any different. If nothing else, it will free your TBU drive up for "normal" backups.

If you're having problems with your drive (which from the picture may be the case), this will be a comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back