Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow access to shared folders, but fast to UNC path?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stannerack

IS-IT--Management
Jun 24, 2001
GB
Hi

I have just performed a server upgrade from Windows 2000 Server to Windows 2003 Standard. We have 3 domain controllers, all of which now run Windows 2003 server.

I am having major performance problems when trying to copy files to a network share on one of the 2k3 servers.

For instance, I have mapped a drive letter to a folder share. It takes 10 to 20 time longer to copy a batch of files than normal. If I just open up a window to "\\servername\sharename" the copy is as quick as it should be.

I have uninstalled antivirus, turn off XP settings that search for folders and printers, but no joy.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks
Paul

Resolve SMB signing issues and Opportunistic locking issues.

The real value of the following MS KB are its links at the end of the article.

I am going to give you a little reading to do:

Thanks for that.

I had fiddled with the SMB signing, but in the meantime I noticed that SP2 for WinXP is now available for download.

It seems to thave fixed the problem.

Now all I have to decide is whether to deploy it to 300+ workstations or wait for SP2a within the next week or so! ;-)

Regards

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back