Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow 2958G

Status
Not open for further replies.

astelling

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2000
AU
I have replaced a couple of 24port low-low-end switches with a cat2948G, & the network seems to be running noticably slower. After logon issues, & DHCP workstations finding public IP addresses, I have set trunk off to all ports, channel off to all ports, & spantree portfast enabled to all ports except a couple that have hubs attached to them. The severe slowness appears to be with any netbios resolution. The net is private addressed, NT4 servers, 98 stations - mostly DHCP, & a linux node to the web.

I have tried to find answers from Cisco, who have said to go to reseller - Dell, & they are saying go to Cisco.

Is your Netbios server running un Linux or unix? I have had this problem with SUN boxes not being able to negotiate properly with Cisco switches. Also if it is a Linux box there might be a conflict if it is running a 3COM 509B ( a real B1tcH to figure out).

-Goodluck
--JoeDigital

Hmm... interesting...
Why don't you do an isolated test?
Get 1 host, connect it to the switch and hard set the speed duplex on both the switch and the host... do some file transfer or whatever testing that you need to do to prove that there is slowness or there ISNT.... cisco are quite helpful if you log a case via the TAC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back