Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slipstreaming SP1 plus updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hfnet

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2003
GB
I run a repairs department and we have a recovery CD for quick installs of Windows XP. I have slipstreamed service packs into the full OEM cd's but the recovery CD's are built differently by the looks of it. Does anyone know how to slipstream service packs and criticals into a recovery cd? The cd's were mastered using softthinks products

An excellent question. For which I have two bad answers:

. never buy a computer that offers only a recovery CD
. Having ignored tip #1, plan on a clean install. Often the OEM manufacturer will offer a "real" CD for a modest fee. Pay it. And then create an unattended Sysprep or other image. An invaluable resource:
This is not exactly the OEM's fault. As the retail market has become very price sensitive, it is cheaper to offer the Recovery option rather than the full CD.

Do the homework ahead of time to make sure that a full CD is an option. Like you, I would do a clean install then and not depend on the OEM Recovery disk.

If you are very, very nice, the tech support at Dell, Compaq, IBM and Gateway will direct you as to how to get a "real" XP CD for their systems. The cost is quite modest.

I think you misunderstood.

I am a repairs manager for a very large pc company and we have our own recovery cd's that we use. It requires our BIOS's to have the DMI string changed in order to work properly.

The recovery CD's we use we mastered by a sister company and they no longer use them. What I want to do is to slip sp1 and updates into the recovery CD so that we do not have to keep reinstalling updates every time we do a non-destructive recovery.

The reason we use the recovery CD's is that we cater for a very specific market, and we have several backup options available, one of which is the recovery CD, which cuts the install time of Windows XP down to around 8 minutes.

Looking at the i386 directory, it is much smaller than on the full OEM cd, so I wondered if there was a way in slipstreaming it at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back