Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sleeping Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishbait

MIS
Jan 9, 2002
US
Frequently when I move something to wake up the pc, I see the lights go on on the keyboard but the monitor will not turn on. Blindly hitting control-alternate-delete does not help. I have to hit the power switch to reboot to get it going. Any ideas on how I can repair?

I'm running Windows 98 2E with a pentium III, 450mghz

Thanks in advance.

Fishbait

I have the same problem with Win 98, and I just live with it.
Sorry that I do not have a solution but here's a tip- To reduce the reboot time, press the X key when ScanDisk starts to run.

Here's a thought....don't know if you want to do it or not, but.....Change the properties of your monitor so it doesn't "go to sleep".

I too recomend that you set the properties of the monitor and hard disk to "never" in Power Managment.This was the only solution I could find.

Thanks for your response. I too have set the monitor to "never" with a screensaver. Just thought I'd ask.

Fishbait

Had the same problem myself and it was linked to Dial Up Network. I just downloaded the latest patch v1.4 I think and I also changed to ALWAYS ON in power settings, SYSTEM STANDBY=NEVER, MONITOR=15MINS,HDD=1HOUR. All is OK now. Regards
Phil [roll1]
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back