Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sleep. I can still hear those drives or fans running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadChough

Programmer
Dec 20, 2007
GB
When I selected Start/Shutdown-Sleep on my Asus Desktop PC (Windows 7) the result was perfect silence and the Power On button simply flashed blue.
Then last week I had to have a new Motherboard fitted and now when I choose Sleep the result is that the screen goes black, the blue light flashes but the sound of drives and/or fans continues. I have looked at the Power Options but cannot see/understand where I can select for the motors to stop.
Guidance would be very welcome. Thanks.

Take the side of the case off and see where the noise is coming from. It's likely the fans and not the hard drive.

It's possible a fan (or all fans) are connected differently after the motherboard swap. In order for Windows (or the motherboard for that matter) to control them, they must be connected to the 3-pin or 4-pin connectors that are directly on the motherboard. If they are connected directly to the power supply using an adapter, then chances are that's your problem, as the power supply isn't switched completely off in sleep mode and may continue powering the fans.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Also check your fan options in the BIOS. I know you said you looked at the Power Options, but I'm assuming you mean windows. New motherboard could have a different version of the BIOS, and/or things set differently than the one that was previously in your machine. I know I've seen fan setting options for "always on" in the BIOS for some boards, so I'd check there for certain. It is under the power settings under BIOS, not the Windows power settings.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Sorry about the delay in responding to your help.
cdogg: you're right. I've checked and it's fans not drives. However I notice that the connector to the cpu fan comes from a 4-pin socket on the mother-board Called "cpu fan", so perhaps the problem lies elsewhere.
kjv16611: I have looked in the BIOS, and seen lots of things I don't understand, but could not find the means to select that the fans go off upon implementing "Sleep". I did, however, find a "Quiet" option which I have selected. This seems to mean the cpu fan runs more slowly at times, but I have yet to find a way to still it, and then there's the Power Supply fan which also used to go off. . .
Thanks for your help.
These seem to be the relevant BIOS pages. One shows "Smart fan Configuration". The other, where I have made no changes in the "Power Settings".
Any other ideas would be welcome. Thanks again.

I don't think the smart fan setup is right. could you give us the manufacturer and the model number of the motherboard please?

It's a BIOSTAR - A780LB for AMD processor.
Thanks for the interest.

It's a BIOSTAR
Obligatory snarky comment: There's your problem right there. But seriously...........

Is there a BIOS update that you could apply - latest is:
78LFU305.BSS Update BIOS code 1024 KB 2014-03-05

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks goombawaho. I've just read a page of scarey stuff about the dangers of updating BIOS, and I think I may well choose to stick with the noise of the fans rather than put my PC at risk by tinkering in unfamiliar zones. "Discretion is the better part of valor" it is said. I did, however, check the installed version/date. It says "American Megatrends Inc. 080014, 13/6/2012

It looks like it is set to turn the fan off only if the temp of the cpu reaches 10 C, unless you are in a walk-in freezer, that will not happen. So, change mode to manual, and set off to 040, on to 045, start to 045, leave sensitivity at 030. save and test. This should set the the fan to turn off if cpu is cooler than 40 C. and on when it reaches 45 C.

BIOS updates are not a problem at all if you follow instructions and they often fix strange problems. I would consider it a MUST if you can't figure this issue out with BIOS SETTINGS alone. "Discretion is the better part of procrastination if not applied properly". My phrase.

BIOS updates are good things to do, but at the same time, in this situation, I'm not sure the BIOS update will be the fix. BadChough, let us know if rclarke250's latest suggestion works. I would imagine that might work, but stepping back again, and thinking about it... think through - what changed at the time.

Reason I say the latter is that I have a system now (I think it's my system I'm remembering - hard to remember anymore [smile] - that started doing the same thing. And it had something to do with the way I had something connected (might have been a drive cable not plugged in (not seated) quite all the way, or else it was some odd/weird update in the system. Sorry I can't remember what it was. Maybe one day, when I'm like 75 and retired (assuming not gone by then), I'll remember to document every fix I find, since I can't remember them all. [bigglasses]

And on BioStar boards... they are cheap which makes them alluring. I used one once, and that was a mistake, at least for me. The board just seemed to die for no rhyme or reason, no warning, it just flat quit working. I then went out and found a used Asus motherboard w/Core 2 Duo CPU to replace it. This one was basically for my "secondary" desktop, and the switch was just more than I could have hoped for. The Biostar board lasted maybe between 1 and 2 years. The Asus board was already at least that old, and I've had it now for probably 4 or 5 years with no no issues.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Would definitely try the BIOS settings suggested by rclarke250 FIRST. Then you're sort of at a "what next" stage.

rclarke250 said:
change mode to manual, and set off to 040, on to 045, start to 045, leave sensitivity at 030. save and test. This should set the the fan to turn off if cpu is cooler than 40 C. and on when it reaches 45 C.
So I've made the changes suggested by rclarke250 but on test the fan does not stop. I have left the PC to cool right down and then booted up into Windows and immediately put it into Sleep, so that the cpu would not have had time to reach 40degrees, but still it continues to spin.

I regret not insisting on an Asus replacement for my Motherboard, but then again it was an Asus that had just let me down!
Thanks for all your thoughts.

Update the BIOS. Reset all options to default. Test. Then go in and start tweaking the settings again.

You may well say that I am procrastinating, and, yes, I am reluctant to update BIOS, but I have just obtained the “Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report” from within Window7 and was intrigued to see the following on page 3 (you can see the whole report here if you’re interested):
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
S1 Sleep Supported true
S2 Sleep Supported false
S3 Sleep Supported false
S4 Sleep Supported true”

I don't know if a BIOS update would change the above structure, but for the time being I’m using “Hibernate” instead of “Sleep”. This does close off the fans, and boots up again much quicker than a complete shut-down. It suits me fine.
Many thanks for your various inputs. I’ve down-loaded the relevant BIOS update, and may get round to using it sometime. . . .

You know what, I think I mentioned a hardware issue being the culprit at least once for me. And I believe that at leastd once it was a bad piece of memory.

If you have more than one stick of RAM in your computer, then I'd suggest:
1. Try running with 1 stick of RAM
2. If the issue continues, then remove that stick of RAM, and swap in another one.
3. If both of these tests fail to correct the issue, then disconnect every piece of hardware that isn't necessary to boot to BIOS, and see how it does.
4. If it seems corrected after disconnecting all hardware, then one by one, add each component back to the system - hard drive, then optical drive(s), whatever else... all one at a time.
5. If none of that helps, and you're using a dedicated graphics card (PCI, AGP, PCI Express), and also have onboard graphics, then try removing the dedicated card, and use the onboard graphics - see if that fixes the issue.

Sorry if any of the above was previously mentioned. It seems to me that the culprit is most likely hardware related, not BIOS nor Windows settings related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back