Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SL2100 behind FreePBX

wirerun

Technical User
Jun 15, 2018
US
Hi NEC gurus, has anyone configured NEC system to work with on premises FreePBX server?
I’ve been looking for call recording solution for awhile now and freepbx seems like a good fit. Plan is to use freepbx as “sip proxy”, it will have 4 sip trunks and 4 extensions set as trunks for NEC to connect to. Calls will be answered by freepbx, greeting will be played and then routed to first available extension which nec will see as a trunk.
Question is how to configure sip trunks on NEC side? Sip subscriber with username and password or IP registration or some other way?

Look into USB call record.
USB recorders I looked into will not capture remote extensions, forwarded calls and require windows OS to run their management software.

Call recording is just one of the features. Voice mail to email and appointment reminders are the next 2 features to implement. I don’t feel like investing into NEC licenses anymore.
I do like NEC hardware and plan on keeping existing on premises setups, but need new solution in the future.
If nec sip trunk to freepbx is not an option I’ll use CO trunk cards and fxs adapters known to work with Freepbx.
Is it even possible to configure SL2100 sip trunks to a sip server on local network?

Is your NEC licensed for SIP trunks? If not you are going to need that. NEC can do almost anything, there is an NTAC guide on SIP trunk connectivity.

There are a number of different ways you can connect the Asterisk to the SL2100. The first way would be SIP Trunks. If the SL2100 is not setup for that licensing then you could do a PRI in the SL2100 to a PRI Gateway going SIP to the Asterisk.

I had at one time a NEC 3C, SV8300, and SV9500 all running behind an Asterisk PBX. The 3C and 9500 were SIP trunks. The SV8300 was PRI. I used an Adtran Netvanta PRI gateway for the PRI connection.

Yes, it has 4 sip trunk licenses and SLnet license. Currently with Clearfly.
NEC SL2100 cannot do Call recording

There are a number of different ways you can connect the Asterisk to the SL2100. The first way would be SIP Trunks. If the SL2100 is not setup for that licensing then you could do a PRI in the SL2100 to a PRI Gateway going SIP to the Asterisk.

I had at one time a NEC 3C, SV8300, and SV9500 all running behind an Asterisk PBX. The 3C and 9500 were SIP trunks. The SV8300 was PRI. I used an Adtran Netvanta PRI gateway for the PRI connection.
Any chance you saved configuration of sip trunks to Asterisk?

USB recorders I looked into will not capture remote extensions, forwarded calls and require windows OS to run their management software.

Call recording is just one of the features. Voice mail to email and appointment reminders are the next 2 features to implement. I don’t feel like investing into NEC licenses anymore.
I do like NEC hardware and plan on keeping existing on premises setups, but need new solution in the future.
If nec sip trunk to freepbx is not an option I’ll use CO trunk cards and fxs adapters known to work with Freepbx.
Is it even possible to configure SL2100 sip trunks to a sip server on local network?
Um,

They have nothing to do with NEC. They also have trunk side options.

Wirerun,

I have an Asterisk ( Issabel ) connected to an NEC SV8100.
1. 10-03 set to sip
2. 10-23 check box; set ip address
3. 11-01 digit length F-Route
4. 14-09 Trunk Group Setup
5. 26-03 Dial Treatment set one to RE
6. 44-02 F-Route Analysis Set digits to dial to reach Asterisk Set to F-route Additional Data set to 1
7. 44-05 F-Route Table Set Trunk Group Dial Treatment Max Digits

That should do it.

Good Luck,
Quaz

Any chance you saved configuration of sip trunks to Asterisk?
Wirerun,

1. 10-03 set to sip
6. 44-02 F-Route Analysis Set digits to dial to reach Asterisk Set to F-route Additional Data set to 1

That should do it.

Good Luck,
Quaz
Wirerun,

1. 10-03 set to sip

That should do it.

Good Luck,
Quaz
I’ll certainly try mysterious F-route again. Couldn’t get it to work last time.

Seems like a heck of a lot of trouble and the introduction of more potential points of failure just to save a small license fee. Add to that the fact that the call detail recording, if done on the asterisk, won't have extension details from the 2100, it seems to be a half baked solution. Also the NEC will have to do the voicemail to email anyway in order for it to work for the 2100 extensions so a really messy solution as against a simple and more comprehensive solution by doing it all in the NEC.

@OzzieGeorge he isn't looking for call accounting. He is looking to do trunk side audio recording. This solution for recording is kind of foggy but the better solution would be to switch to the Asterisk and forget the NEC. That said, that switch comes with its own set of problems. It might mean this method is a good short term option.

@wirerun I can't get you that setup until tomorrow. I am positive I still have it.

Seems like a heck of a lot of trouble and the introduction of more potential points of failure just to save a small license fee. Add to that the fact that the call detail recording, if done on the asterisk, won't have extension details from the 2100, it seems to be a half baked solution. Also the NEC will have to do the voicemail to email anyway in order for it to work for the 2100 extensions so a really messy solution as against a simple and more comprehensive solution by doing it all in the NEC.
It’s not about saving a fee, nec is officially leaving our market, why spend a dime on quitters.
Also I’m not talking about recording call details but actual voice call recordings, it was never an option NEC offered, not in US market at least.
Voice mail to email is standard feature of freepbx and it will not be Dee and
@OzzieGeorge he isn't looking for call accounting. He is looking to do trunk side audio recording. This solution for recording is kind of foggy but the better solution would be to switch to the Asterisk and forget the NEC. That said, that switch comes with its own set of problems. It might mean this method is a good short term option.

@wirerun I can't get you that setup until tomorrow. I am positive I still have it.
I would appreciate that. switching from NEC is no brainer, but I sold this client 5 systems within last year, need to get few more years out of it, who knew nec would flop like that.
I’m sure Asterisk has issues, but they certainly not going away as long as people still use handsets for communication.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back