Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SKW2 returns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimalex

Technical User
Jan 22, 2004
Gibraltar
With us all being dragged towards Windows 7 it followed that SKW2 would not survive the 64 bit software which, as far as I am aware was all there was already in shop purchases of hardware. I used SKW2 for umpteen years and had to give up on it, but I must say I find Sidekick 98 in Windows 7 along with todays facilities is perfect for me.

However, I now have a portable (Asus T100) which has Windows 8.1. It has already been confirmed that 8.1 takes Sidekick 98 but the news is it takes SKW2. This has to be because it is a 32 bit operating system with this particular portable.

With Sidekick 98, I can sync across the programs in Vista, Windows 7, and now Windows 8.1.
With SKW2, I can find ways sync across the three but on the basis that the sdb file has to be converted to an skcard for SK98 which is not practical. However, most people have one machine and need no other: so SKW2 can live again on Windows 8.1.

That is interesting news although it won't do me any good. I have gotten SK98 to work relatively well on the Win7-64 machine at work but I still somehow preferred the look and feel of SKW2 (and I still have occasional problems with opening SK98 which might have something to do with other background programs loading up at start like Lync). If and when they got to Win8 here it will likely again be the 64-bit version so no joy for me. I keep meaning to bite the bullet and finally move on to some other program like Essential PIM but the hassle of going through the conversion (particularly my length card log entries) is daunting.

Doug

Happy for you both,

I'm glad to hear the news, could jimalex try the following with the two programs.
I have heard at some point in the past, that the only difference between an ####.sdb file and an ####.Skw file is the extension and that if you rename the extension from one to the other you can open the file.

Try it on a copy of a file as I don't want to be held responsible for a corrupted file!

Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim, The SDB file from SKW2 can be opened and converted to an SKCard in SK98. So I could use SKW2 on Windows 8 32bit, send it to Sidekick 98 on Windows 7 64bit with relative ease. For the memos/notes the three numbers files need to be sent and Sidekick 98 will open the FDR file which can be converted to a SKWrite file. There is no need to convert as Sidekick 98 will open both types, which does suggest that SKW2 in Windows 8 could be the master file.
Unfortunately, it does not work the other way as SKW2 does not open SK98 files and if you take the view that there is no master and want to update from any computer, the SKCard and SKWrite files will only open in SK98.
I have been using SK98 for a couple of years now and find it just right.

Hi jimalex
Thanks for you reply.
I knew that you can open an .sdb file in Sk98 but I was still interested in the method I suggested, whereby you change the extension on the file from .SKWCard to .sdb to see if you can read it in SKW2?
If it did work, then you could create a batch file to do that.
Make sure that you use a duplicate file though to try it on, as it could corrupt it.
Regards
Jim

Hi Jim,
You beat me to it- I missed out this line which happens to be the answer!
With Sidekick 98 you can rename SDB or SKCard and it will open.
With SKW2 it will not open if you rename the SKcard to SDB.

Be interesting to find out what is in the header of the file which differentiates one from the other...
Thanks for trying
Jim

I've recently purchases an ASUS Notebook running Windows 8 and it will not load up the Sidekick Programe. Is there a work around or am I out of luck. I've loved this programe for 16 years! Worked fine on Windows 7

Hi Monterey,
I take it you use sk98.
What happens?
Do you get the Welcome box inviting you to Install - and it doesn´t?

Status
Not open for further replies.