Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SKW 98 - won't save Toolbar changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJS2

Technical User
Dec 22, 2009
US
I got a new computer with Win 10 (first time) in January. At first, SKW 98 worked okay. But after several weeks, some glitch occurred with the computer, and I had to redo all the SKW Preferences and Toolbar. The other settings changes have stuck, but not the Toolbar changes.

After the reset, I looked for and copied all settings files I could find. Then closed SKW and copied the previously saved files. But the Toolbar settings were still reverted.

In addition, after a previous Windows update, I had to redo the other settings, including the colors. (I HATE Win 10!)

Any ideas welcome.

It sounds like a corrupt sidekick layout file.
A reinstall would probably solve the problem, but it would be possible to delete the file (when sidekick is not running) and allow sidekick to reinstate it at the next opening of the program.
I believe that sometime in the last 20years on this forum we came across that situation, but I'm not entirely sure. Search the FAQs and forum for 'layout' (without the quotes obviously).
Let us know how that goes.

I would suggest that you copy the file and paste it into the same folder as a copy, before deleting the original.

Be prepared to uninstall the program and re-install. So don't do anything if you don't feel confident.

Jim

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of any Forum you are in for answers to similar queries, it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Hi, Thanks much for the reply. I found the layout file. First I replaced it with a backed up copy, and launched SKW. Didn't work. Then I closed SKW again and deleted the file, launched again. Still didn't work.

Then I uninstalled and reinstalled. I followed the instructions for the Patch. It still won't save the toolbar settings. [neutral]

Does the dialog box for Setup-Toolbar supposed to have an OK or Enter button? (I don't see one.)

Interesting that the new install found all my other settings, including location of my user files (on another drive).

Kami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back