Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Skipping NFS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

denisfr

Technical User
Jul 11, 2005
FR
Hello,

is there a way to skip NFS filesystems during the save of a client ?

Thanks in advance.

Denis

create a directive.
if your nfs mount point is /mnt/nfs

your directive looks like

<< /mnt/nfs >>
+ skip: .?* *

Already tried :

- if the NFS is read-only, I cannot create the file
- if the NFS is read-write, I write the .nsr on the server exporting the file system, and forbid me to save the data at least one time.

To denisfr:

You are obviously doing something wrong. This is a server-site directive which resides 'hidden' in the NW server's /nsr/res directory.
A .nsr file however, is a client-site directive to be created in the client's directory. Of course you can't do this on a read-only file system.

BTW - you might want to slightly change the mentioned directive as follows ...

<< /mnt/nfs >>
+ skip: .?* *

To:
<< /mnt/nfs >>
+skip: .?* *

I don't know if the 'space' will matter but you never know - just look at the existing directives.

I know the goal of a .nsr under a local directory (client side).

The problem is that if I create a .nsr under my mounted point, the .nsr is created on the server which exports this filesystem.

If I want to save this directory by the 'normal' save which runs on the exporting client, I can't.

So, my directory is saved twice (or more) or is never saved...

Assuming that /mnt is always the directory of NFS mounted filesystems, I will create a directive used in the client definition (on the server) to skip it. But this is not the case, unfortunately...

Hoping I'm understandable ;-)

If i understand you correctly ...
- You want to save the NFS directory at the NFS server
- You want to skip it on the NFS client
This of course makes sense to avoid backup duplicates.

Now, if you want to also run manual backups at the NFS server, then you can not use a local directive file (.nsr) as such will always work. Consequently, you can only use a NSR directive for the NFS client configuration which should not be a problem.

Another method is to positively specify the save set list for the NFS client omitting the NFS mount directory. In this case you do not even need directives at all.

You've understood my problem :)

but :

- NFS mounted directories can have the same name than the NFS exported directories or can not have
- NFS exported directory can be mounted twice on the same client using different name
- NFS mounted directories "lives", so one day, I can have 3, another day, 6, the next day, 2 and so on, depending on the work being made on that client.

So, I can not use neither a local .nsr file nor a NSR directive.

My question was : is there any flag in the NSR client definition to avoid NFS filesystems to be saved (since a look at the /etc/fstab or /etc/filesystems or local drive, under windows can be sufficient to sieve) or maybe a specific asm to put in a NSR directive ?

At this time, the answer is clearly no.

There is no flag. However, as i mentioned in my last response, you can still list all save sets explicitly and avoid 'All'.

Yes, but I can't.
The client filesystems changes everyday.

So I need to lobby at EMC in order to get this flag option :)

What about this :
Use a local directive in your exported filesystem to skip this filesystem on every host.
On the Original host whis is exporting this filesystem, you use a global (serverbased) directive which should ignore all local directives:

<< / >>
ignore

So you can save this filesystem on the original host and skip it on every other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back