Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Skip Labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandler

MIS
Dec 10, 2000
US
I've got a .lbx pulling in data to print out to a sheet of 2 columns of 2"x4" labels. Everything works great, but I'd like to have the ability to skip labels in order to avoid wasting labels and having to use a new sheet of labels every time.

The only way I can think of right now is to insert X amount of blank records and then re-order the table to float the blank records to the top of the data set. I was hoping that there is a quicker solution. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Chandler
I ran over my dogma with karma!

One problem that you often face is that the label stock doesn't like to be put through printers too many times before the adhesive begins to be exposed and the stock sticks within the printer or the stock just doesn't feed well causing label mis-alignment.

But, that having been said, creating less waste in our society is an admirable goal.

Obviously for the top labels extra record lines would not be required. But for starting printing somewhere down the label page, you will indeed need to put in the blank records.

I'd recommend setting up your user interface to allow the users themselves to input the number of 'labels' to skip so that they can control where to begin printing - obviously this can change from label page to label page depending on how many labels are left from the previous printing.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Hi,

creating empty records is indeed the trick I also use, after all does not take up too much time, since we are no talking about 100s' of records.
The coding is originaly from Barbara Peisch (I believe)

The ThisForm nLabels value is the first label to be available on the labelsheet.

<code>
create cursor curDummy (nOrder n(1), field1 M, field2 c(50))
for lnLabel = 1 to thisform.nLabels.value-1
insert into curDummy values (0,'','')
endfor

select 1 as nOrder, ;
myCursor.field1, ;
myCursor.field2 ;
from myCursor with (buffering = .t.) where lSelect = .t. into cursor curReportLabels readwrite Nofilter;
order by nOrder, field1 ;
union all ;
select ;
nOrder,field1, field2 ;
from curDummy
use in curDummy
</code>
Please take care the dummy.fields field1 etc should be exactly 100 % same type as the fields from your myCursor o.w. the union will not work.

Regards,

Jockey2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back