Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

skewing an image

Status
Not open for further replies.

mufka

ISP
Dec 18, 2000
US
I have photos of bound material that I need to flatten out. The images are skewed near the binding. The National Archives doesn't allow one to manhandle the books enough to get flat images. The pages are all text and my goal is to machine-recognize the text. The quality of the text is good, but I need to straighten out the lines. Can this be done with PSP X? Or Photoshop?

The people who do this on a large scale (e.g. Google) use a saddle scanner or photograph the pages individually, simultaneously at 90 degree angles. Those methods eliminate the distortion caused by not being able to flatten out the binding.

Trying to de-curve your text in post-processing is going to be very difficult: each page will be distorted differently. In fact, each line of type will most likely be distorted slightly differently.

The aforementioned scanning techniques are proudly documented on the Web.

Depending on how uniformly the text is distorted, you might try using the rectangular selection tool to grab just the area of text that is distorted and adjust it with the raster deform tool. A little kludgy, but it might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back