Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SKCARD Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackev

Technical User
Jan 18, 2020
GB
Hi all,

In a couple of weeks I will be embarking on an attempt to convert an SKCARD format database from Sidekick to a modern DBMS.

I would much rather do this using a bash script as the alternative option is controlling mouse movements to copy/paste data from sidekick on a VM.

My issue is that the SKCARD format doesn't make much sense to me, the file seems to have an uninterpretable header, some spaces, followed by what looks like a record index with maybe record headers? The remainder of the file is the record data with separators between the fields - but no separators between the actual records?! Could the index be pointing to these locations?

Unfortunately I cannot use the Sidekick export features as the client needs the records notes which are not included in this export.

If anyone could shed some light/point me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful. I will also happily share this program with anyone who might find it useful.

Dear Jackey

The only version which exports all the card fields and the Contact Log as a cardfield too, all as .csv files which can be imported into Microsoft Access and that is Sidekick97 / Internet Sidekick, but there is a limit to the amount of characters which can be exported, which is around 256 characters.
I have explained the process too.
I host a download for Sidekick98 check out the FAQ pages for my address.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of any Forum you are in for answers to similar queries, it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back