Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SK98 Contact logs to DB conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryIsASloth

Programmer
Jun 23, 2016
GB
My company is stuck on SK98 for over 20k customers.
I want to move to a cloud-based program for obvious reasons.
The issue is I need the contact log to be transferred into the new database.
Are there any scripts that exist that can read from the SKCard file, extracting the contact logs as well as the other entities all under one table? Into some reasonably workable file-type?

If not, is there anyone who could give me some pointers into the SKCard file-type layout?
My coding is all self-taught but I should be able to get my head round it with sufficient help.

Dear GaryIsASloth
The only way to export the contract log as a field is by using Sidekick 97.
See faq807-1313
or faq807-3773

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

You can export card files in 98 under File>Export cardfile. It can export as tab delimited text or comma delimited csv or several others. Only problem is it does not say where it is exporting to but can be easily found as the file name is same as the card title.

Dear tramdev1
As I have said in previous posts, the only way to export the contact log as a field is by using Internet Sidekick97 because Sidekick98 does not include the contact log when exporting to a comma separated values (.csv) file or tab delimited .txt file.
It is also preferable to export to tab delimited .txt as I believe it accepts a greater number of characters. There is a limit on the number of characters which can be exported to tab delimited .txt and I believe it is around 254 although I vaguely remember having managed to export more than that, but it depends on the actual number of hard returns which have been used in the contact log.
Regards
Jim

And I have just remembered that when importing the tab delimited .txt file into Access one has to specify that the contact log is imported as a NOTES field which allows an enormous amount of characters in the field. That should be continued whenever the file is imported into any database as most fields are limited also to 256 characters (which was the quantity I meant to say before) !

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

James33, I understand what you are saying and I did read that forum prior to making this post.
I do not think the SideKick 97 Internet is an option for us as we already had great difficulty.

I've browsed through the SKCard file format and all the data is there. Surely it is possible to write a script to
extract all the relevant information and write it to a new file in a program-compatible format?

Please excuse me if I am wrong. Thank you for all your help.

Is the contact log that which includes list of calls made & received? If so the file layout seems clear enough so it should be possible to have a script to do it. In mine I only have entries starting with [called] but I assume there are other alternatives.

Yeah, it's definitely stored in the SKCard because when you transfer the SKCard file between SideKick's you keep all the contact logs. Also i'm pretty confident it was in the file when I opened it up with notepad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back