Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SK 98 - Is your Data Being Backed up? You Sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich224422

Technical User
Apr 5, 2004
US
I thought mine was. I got a new laptop in January. Had to pay extra for Windows 7 Pro because Windows 8 was getting thrashed soundly. I have used Sidekick in various version for many years. Currentlly using SK 98. I faithfully select "Yes" tp the "Save Changes" prompt when closing a SK session. Sp, since mid-January I have been saving...I thought! Yesterday I entered a new name and information in a SK Card. I closed the SK Session and "Saved Changes." A short while later I had more information to add to that card so I opened SK but couldn't find the card. I entered the information again and closed and saved. Opened again...still no new card. After two more tries I looked on this site and also Googled the Probem. No answer? I found the probem.

Solution: I found the file, USERDATA, had its attributes selected for "Read Only". The fix was a right click on that file, select "Properties", uncheck the box at the bottom for "Read Only" and all is good. Escept, of course for the almost two months of lost data. There was never any notifiation that the data was not being saved as Sidekick was behaving as it should when I closed it out. I caught on by noting the dates for "Last Modified" in USERDATA were over a month old. I had even run my freuent backups of that file and didn't catch the problem until yesterday. I swear I didn't do this "Read Only" designation thing to my Userdata File. Consequently, I am blaming the problem on Micro Hard and the new laptop.

Blaze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back