Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sizing my viewable content (vertical)

Status
Not open for further replies.

southbeach

Programmer
Jan 22, 2008
US
I working on a page where upon clicking an icon I do
(a) Display hidden layer blockScreen
(b) Display hidden layer inputForm

Layer blockScreen has CSS properties:
Code:
div#blockScreen {
	position: absolute;
	left: 0px;
	top: 0px;
	width: 100%;
	height: 100%;
	z-index: 10;
	display: none;
	background-color: #CCC;
	opacity:.55;
}

This works well except that if the screen content goes beyond the standard screen size, user could scroll down and potentially trigger other actions off the page; this is the very thing I am trying to prevent by "blocking" the screen.

I figure I could change the blockScreen layer height property if I knew what to set it to.

So, is there a way I can obtain the height, including beyond standard screen size?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

--
SouthBeach
The good thing about not knowing is the opportunity to learn - Yours truly, 2008.

You can get the height of the window with this:

Code:
function wHeight() {
    var windowHeight = 0;
    if( typeof( window.innerWidth ) == 'number' ) {
        windowHeight = window.innerHeight;
    } else if( document.documentElement && ( document.documentElement.clientWidth || document.documentElement.clientHeight ) ) {
    windowHeight = document.documentElement.clientHeight;
    } else if( document.body && ( document.body.clientWidth || document.body.clientHeight ) ) {
    windowHeight = document.body.clientHeight;
    } return windowHeight;
}

Note: I didnt write that function, but I dont rememeber who did so unfortunately cant give credit.

The way I've always obtained a div height is using prototype:

Scott Prelewicz
Web Developer
COMAND Solutions

Scott,

Nice function - Thank you for posting it ... but it does not give me the height I am looking for.

My problem is that at some point, the content will go beyond the first viewable area (this is when the scroll bar appears) and using a height of 100% will only cover this viewable area not beyond so, if the user scrolls down (using scroll bar), my blocking screen will not be full proof.

I do not want to use height 150% or 200%, this makes the screen jumpy if the content still fits within the first screen full. Besides, I figure that using dynamic value beats using a fixed value which can later render itself worthless.

Thanks!

--
SouthBeach
The good thing about not knowing is the opportunity to learn - Yours truly, 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back