Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Size of pagefile.sys after memory upgraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksilka

Programmer
Feb 26, 2005
US
I just upgraded our windows 2000 server from 1GB Ram to 3GB Ram. I know that you have to adjust the pagefile size to be 1.5x the amount of Ram but windows will only allow me to set it to 4095 MB of Ram. What are the proper numbers for the pagefile.sys for 3GB or Ram so my server can function correctly?

Thank you

1.5 is practice. but, 3GB is noramlly very good enough for some server role, so, u really don't expect a big pagefile, coz ideally, everyhting will be processed in RAM. so, i would say don't worry about that.

---------------------------------------
Sr. Directory Services/Exchange Consultant

btw, pay attention to /3gb in boot.ini for some applications server role, like exchange, search MSFT KB.

---------------------------------------
Sr. Directory Services/Exchange Consultant

Q: how big should I make the page file on the boot volume?
A: big enough for a kernal dump.

3GB of RAM. Is it advanced server?

N = 1.5gb
Y = Did you use the /3gb switch?
N = 1.5gb
Y = 750mb

These are minimum sizes, the max is 4gb. I usually split the boot vol into two partitions, C: and D:. I put the minimum size needed for a kernal dump on C:, and let the
OS manage the size of the page file on D:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back