Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Size of backup Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandoliveira

Programmer
Jun 18, 2008
LT
Hi, I'm doing a little application where i will backup SQL servers and one Exchange 2003 Server using one script in the command line. But before the backup of Exchange i should know if I have enough space in disk...

The problem is that I never use or work with exchange and i can't do tests cause the server is critical to the company...

So, for SQL I know that I just need to do one query like: "SELECT sum(size) FROM myDatabase..SYSFILES;"... My question is if I can do the same for Exchange or how I find the size of the data before the backup...

Thanks for the attention :)

find *.stm and *.edb and add them up. That will be close to what you need.

Are you using Exchange backup APIs? If not, you need to rethink this - Exchange creates a log files that are only removed when you PROPERLY backup exchange.

-Lee

Those who ask why, learn

I've found that Exchange is a special case when it comes to backup and recovery. Even Microsoft admits that 42% of Exchange recoveries from tape fail. A great product I've been hearing a lot about is Replay by Appassure software. It can take care of all your backup and recovery needs at a great value.

If you're properly configured, and using the correct equipment, restores should rarely fail. That 42% is very misleading. I've had maybe 2 fail in 10 years. Hundreds of restores for hundreds of clients.

Lee is correct, you need to use the API or the transaction logs won't get truncated.

Pat Richard MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back