Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Size Limit on Download 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckiebear

Programmer
May 25, 2004
US
Can anyone tell me if there is a limitation within the browser on the size of a file downloaded? I'm getting a permission denied on downloading any file over 1 gig and the network administrators do not have a size limitation.

Thanks!

I realize it's not a setting, but is there an internal limitation that a browser can not handle a file larger than a certain size.

Hi duckiebear

Im not aware of any limatations (but I have never downloaded a Gb file before), but the best way to elimate IE is to try another browser eg FireFox.

Would be worth a go.

Paulj

I know it's not working with Netscape, but I will try FireFox. The problem with using a different browser is that I have users connecting from multiple sites across the country to view the file, so I can't control which browser the other users are using. Thank you for your response!

Hi duckiebear

Have you tried FTP rather than HTTP?

A Gb going though HTTP seems a lot...

Again just a thought.

Paulj

Thanks. FTP isn't an option as it's people accessing data off of the secure web. It's my only option. I think my best bet is to force our video department to create videos as MPEGs instead of VOBs, which should drastically reduce the size.

It is not a video format issue, and it is not a browser limitation.

What my gut instinct tells me is that your MTU values on the router and/or client side are wrong for your ISP connection.

If using PPoE under DSL, set the router MTU and the client MTU to 1492 or lower. Windows by default will use 1500.

This is a secure webserver on the LAN, and the network group has ensured that it is not being denied on their end. I've also checked all of the file permissions, and should be able to access it. I found out that VOB files have problems after 100 MB, which is more likely my problem.
Thanks for all of the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back