Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Size Limit Incoming Files Outlook 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2003
US
I've searched Help and on the Internet and can't find a setting in Outlook 2013 that limits the size of incoming e-mails. It's sitting out on my ISP, but Outlook aborts circa 15mb when downloading the mail to my Outlook client. Anyone know where the setting is?

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster than agile big data clouds)

that limits the size of incoming e-mails
There isn't one. Outlook only applies a "size limit" to messages that you are creating (20 MiB by default).

It's more likely that it is the connection that is 'timing out'.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

As stated, incoming mail is only limited at the ISP/mailbox. That is, they will allow your mailbox to receive a 9MB file but not a 10.1 MB file. Once it's in your mailbox, it's just a matter of downloading it with a reliable connection into your Outlook.

You might try setting up Thunderbird or Windows Mail to see if it can download it. If not, I'd try some network connectivity tests. From a CMD prompt, try this and see if there are missed pings
ping -t -l 1500

Also a speed test - are you getting the speed that you're supposed to get.
speedtest.comcast.net or dslreports.com/speedtest

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

As stated, incoming mail is only limited at the ISP/mailbox. That is, they will allow your mailbox to receive a 9MB file but not a 10.1 MB file.

Actually size limits on incoming messages will NOT allow messages over the limit to be delivered, the incoming mail server will respond to the sending server/client with a 523 status code (SMTP status x.2.3 ) and reject the message.

RFC1893 said:
X.2.3 Message length exceeds administrative limit

A per-mailbox administrative message length limit has been
exceeded. This status code should be used when the
per-mailbox message length limit is less than the general
system limit. This code should be used as a permanent
failure.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

I think we're on the same page and that's what I was saying (I think). The mailbox on the ISP will refuse the email if the attachment size is too great, but once it is accepted there (under the limit) it just needs to be pulled down to outlook.

So, there are three steps to receiving an email with an attachment
1. Sender to Mailbox
2. Acceptance at Mailbox
3. Download to mail client

Only step 3 is failing here from what I understand.

Yeah, it has been pointed out that I was replying to what I read, rather than what was actually written, so apologies for that.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

I missed that entirely apparently.

Thanks y'all. Let me send another e-mail to my ISP. To repeat the symptoms, when I open Outlook and Send/Receive Mail, I see the message that says (say) Downloading 2 of 11 messages. When I get to Downloading 11 of 11 messages, it fails after downloading about 15mb from the Mail Server. It *always* fails at that size limit, and I have tried at least a dozen times to get it downloaded. As the mail server downloads the most recent mail first, it's not crushing my ability to get e-mail.

As far as timeouts, unless the timeout is on the Mail Server, my ISP will allow a connection for up to 1 hour with no activity without terminating the connection. It takes less than an hour to download the 15 +/- megabytes. We're talking about #3 in the chain of events posted by goombawaho.

After I talk to my ISP, I'll post what they said here. Thanks Again to everyone who has replied.

It takes less than an hour to download the 15 +/- megabytes.
So you have quite a slow internet connection from that. Did you do my other two tests?

Does your ISP not provide a webmail interface so you can delete the suspect message?

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Does your ISP not provide a webmail interface so you can delete the suspect message?
Great idea, but it doesn't explain what's going on with downloading the message. Another message will come along and another problem.

Not necessarily, it could simply be a spam message that is mal-formed and "glitching" out.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Pending results of the OP's internet speed test (waiting), I'd take that bet!! Put 5 cyber simoleons on it????

The message isn't suspect; it's from my brother-in-law and contains Xmas pictures. (hence the large size of the attachment)

I think what he meant was it is somehow damaged (message or attachments) and cannot be downloaded properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back