Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sits at Apllying computer settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikeGuy23

MIS
Jun 17, 2002
CA
HI all, I am running some IBM notebooks with XP installed on a 2K domain. From time to time and it seems more likely during the first boot up of the morning but not limited to just that time, that after entering the password to sign into the domain the notebook sits at "Applying computer settings..." and just sits there. Sometimes after 10-30 min it will log in others it will just sit there and need a re-boot. After a power cycle everything seems fine. Any ideas?
Thanks

Hi, check what is in your startup folders and what network connections ( like for shared drives) may be needed...If any of those resources are unavaiable, Windows ( including XP Pro) will try for a long time to access them before giving up...

[profile]

We have nothing in the startup folders and there are no shared drives on the notebooks themselves just their log in scripts which point them to shared drives on a server, but it does not even get to that point! Thanks for the advice though!

I had the same problem with my desktop system - it would hang at the same point you describe. Solved my problem by running msconfig & returning it to a Normal Startup state. It had been in Selective mode for quite some time & that apparently causes problems in the long term. From there, I ran each program that I had originally disabled in Startup, to remove those apps/processes, & my system has been running fine ever since - no slow startups or apparent hangs.

I had the Same Problem It used to take ages to logon to the server but then I Put in The Primary DNS as the machine with Active directory and now it loads pretty faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back