Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SiteStat.xml saying: SiteStatus Status=Disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulhthomas

Technical User
Apr 5, 2005
GB
hi all, I hope someone can help me.
Mcafee are being as much use as.... well they're pretty useless.
One of our customers, rather than using Global updating and SuperAgents have decided to set up Mirror tasks which mirror the repository from the ePO to various servers around the globe.
As you hopefully know, each repository holds a sitestat.xml file which states the status of the repository.
Clients go to this repository to get their latest virus definitions, but first they download this sitestat.xml to see if the repository is Enabled or Disabled. If disabled they will go onto the next repository in their repository.
Now, because of our customer's rubbish design, they have no backup repository; therefore, nobody gets their latest defs.

What I can't figure out is why this file is becoming disabled in the first place.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

By the way, it's ePO 3.5 with patch 5

Thanks

Paul

Paul Thomas
Network+ - Passed
70-210 - Passed
70-290 - Passed
70-291 - Passed
70-293 - Working towards

Paul,

the first thing that happens when the repository is being updated is that the "updating process" disables the repository. This is done in order to prevent clients from downloading a incoherent set of files. As soon as the update is done, the repository is set back to enabled.
If the repository stays disabled, it means the repository update did not succeed.
If you are sure the files in the repository are OK, you could simply change the sitestat.xml replaing disabled by enabled.

Probably you need to look at the server log files in order to find out why the repository update is not completing.

ok, thanks. I will check the logs tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure the files are up to date, and changing the file to say enabled is what we've been doing . It just gets a bit tedious every day!!!

As I said, I will check the logs and report back.

Thanks

Paul Thomas
Network+ - Passed
70-210 - Passed
70-290 - Passed
70-291 - Passed
70-293 - Working towards

with "the upgarding process" I mean, pull task if it's the master, or replication task if it's a distributed repository.

I'm convinced the field is set to disabled after one of these tasks (it explains why it's done every day again)
When I say incoherent I mean during the update process. The catalog file contains the list of "new" files. So a client connecting reads it and then downloads the files it needs. While the update is in progress the catalog could already contain the files being copied at that time (depending which is updated first, catalog or files, I can't recall right now) Therefore a client could start downloading a certain file which does not exist yet. I guess (as I'm not a McAfee employee) this is why the repository is first disabled.
Of course the final thing the pul or replicate task does is enabling the repository. Hence if the job does not end correctly, it will never get enabled back.

Geert

Hi.

I know that in the first place you want know understand why does it happens... well, I can't help you on this matter.

I had the same problem in the past and every time that happened I edited the file and changed to Enable. Well I know that this is obvious, but the strange thing is that the replications went well for weeks.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back