Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Review 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfc41

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
US
Hi all,
This is my first site would like some feedback please. I have used frames and like the look and navigation, but wondering how everyone else see's it. Not sure if frames is the way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

It looks OK when viewed with Internet Explorer, but it's completely messed up when viewed with Firefox - there seems to be some kind of Micro$oft-only thing going on to get the gradient fills behind the text. If you're not using an M$ browser, you get no text at all, but a but image instead. A plug-ugly one at that.

The worrying thing is that search engine spiders probably won't be able to read the text version either (it's hidden inside a comment as far as they're concerned).

These sort of things happen when you build a site with FrumpPage, frames are the least of your problems.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

i'm unable to read the text, it's very blurry and there is a strange black
line/stripe on right side of your background; not sure if that's what you wanted. (I'm on Mac)

Pretty in IE, although bottom line text is rather hard to read

In Moz it just appears as an image, very pixellated and nothing clickable. To be polite, it's unusable in Moz!

My comments about validation are probably unnecessary - you are obviously not aiming for (and don't expect) cross browser compatibilty if you use FrontPage!

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

for steam enthusiasts

Urghhhhhhh with a capital U

Mozilla ..... unreadable, links didn't work, horrid colours
IE .... vaugely readable, links sorta work, horrid colours

At least one ink aimed at a loacl destination (c:\docs & setts\donna\my docs\my webs\home.htm)

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

Thanks all for your comments. Guess I need to start my site all over. What is the best web development tool? I want all browser to be able view my site.

Thanks Again,
DFC

Your brain is the best web design tool there is. Hand code. Learn what good web design is and use that. Use CSS and also learn how to use a validator. Professional sites look good because they're designed by people who have an eye for what looks good and what works. Having a fancy toolbox with expensive tools does not make you an auto mechanic or plumber or carpenter. That takes experience and an analytical mind for the specific job.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back