Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site review please ... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharg

Technical User
Mar 21, 2002
Hi folks,

Could I ask for your critical feedback on a new site I'm working on?

Also, I went to the w3c.org HTML4.1 validator site, and it reports that my </head> and <body> tags are in the wrong places. Can't see why. Any clues?

Thanks !

maharg, first off nice clean feel to your site, no over-the-top images, animations, etc...good job!!
Ok, now for my comments:
1) You can fit all you pages one screen...you do not have enough content to have the scrolbars. I see you're using the <p> tags to add your copyright statement. Instead of the <p> tags, use <br>, that way you can eliminate the excess space that <p> tags put in.
Do this:
Code:
 </div>
 <br><br>
 <align=&quot;Center&quot;><font color=&quot;#ffffff&quot; size=&quot;1&quot;>Copyright 2002 The Text Refinery</font>

2) You have an elipse after each header title on all pages, but under the 'pricing.htm' page, the header: Special limited offer you only have two dots, not three...but in my honest opinion, i'd ger rid of the elipse's...not necessary

3) In 'plainenglish.htm' you have this statment at the end: This site is still being written ... 23 Sep. 2002, not sure what the significance is about that being there...

4) Under 'contact.htm' you have this statement at the bottom: You can find this website at , not needed...makes no sense for you add your website address on your website...

But other then that, nice work... I have not failed; I have merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Hi Graham,

In IE&, 1024*

The main page:: Maybe you could also add a divider line between the content and the right column, a dotted gray line might look well. Have you tried to put a 1px border on the table?
i'd move the links higher.

As well as having a main page header on each page, maybe a sub header might help also, just to fill the page a bit, it all looks a little empty. Perhaps a few simple images, it's a little plain.

You should maybe re-phrase some of what you have written. For example::
&quot;The fairest way to cost a job is to first see what needs to be done.&quot; doesn't sound very professional, using words like &quot;project&quot; instead of &quot;job&quot; might be better to start with.

Just a few thoughts, hope it helps

É

- :: my FIRST site in XHTML, comments/ criticism/ questions much appreciated!! :)
-

Hi mate,

Small addition to the above comments:

On the navbar, is there any reason that on some pages the link is Contact us and on others it is Contact?

Hope this helps Wullie

sales@freshlookdesign.co.uk

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Hi GUJUmOdel, cian & Wullie,

Ah, knew I could depend on you guys. Thanks for all the comments.

I've only just started on the site, so not much content yet. Thought I'd get initial comments before going too far.

Anyway, I'll put your suggestions into action over the next few days.

Any ideas on what the W3C.org validator was telling me? I've drawn a blank on that one. May pop a post on the HTML/CSS forum.

Thanks again!
Graham

Hi mate,

Sorry I meant to say before, it is the following that is causing the error.

<link rel=&quot;stylesheet&quot; type=&quot;text/css&quot; href=&quot;mystyle.css&quot; /=&quot;&quot;>

Hope this helps Wullie

sales@freshlookdesign.co.uk

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Just one thing that hit me straight away: your links are on the right, it's a bit strange for most folks like me ;o)

I would definitely recommend having the links stay constant. When I click on one, it changes to something else when the new page loads. -----------------------------------------------
These are endless galaxies which are yours.
You can journey to infinity
through the endless passages of the cosmos.
Even better. This all belongs to you.
This is your mind.

Hi BDNFLNC & cian,

Yep, good point that ... changes made !

cheers again.

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back