Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Hangs Occasionally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamin

Programmer
Oct 2, 2002
CA
I have a site that I maintain for a bookstore and recently it hangs whenever users try to access the home page or any other page. The browser page goes white and it seems as though its trying to find the page but it never does. I believe there is something wrong on the server side but my ISP insists that its programmer error. When they reset the server the site works fine but then it goes down again after a few days. Any ideas??

Try creating an exact backup of your site on a local or other server, and see if it exhibits the same problems. if not, your ISP is most likely to blame.

Is it possible it is a Javascript problem? Maybe an infinite loop, etc, that only happens occasionally?

Either way, it is highly unlikely that any HTML or CSS you have would cause intermittent lockups.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Hey Billy,

I had the same idea of duplicating the site to another server. The client isn't happy with their ISP anyway so we'll wait until they're ready to make the switch.

Do you think that tags that are in UPPERCASE would cause this prb? For instance, each page has the following piece of code:
<!--#INCLUDE VIRTUAL="/books/adovbs.inc" -->

I changed this line on the Home Page to all lowercase to see if it may make a difference.

Thanks again for your input!

I can't really say if it would make a difference or not, although I do know that 98% of searches I did on Google revealed the lowercase syntax ;o)

Dan

I talked to the ISP and they concluded that the code that creates the DB connection and recordsets have to be modified. I examined the code again and found a couple of files that I suspect may be the prb. The following is from an include file <adovbs.inc> that is included with each page:
' ADO constants include file for VBScript
'
'--------------------------------------------------------------------

'---- CursorTypeEnum Values ----
Const adOpenForwardOnly = 0
Const adOpenKeyset = 1
Const adOpenDynamic = 2
Const adOpenStatic = 3

'---- CursorOptionEnum Values ----
Const adHoldRecords = &H00000100
Const adMovePrevious = &H00000200
Const adAddNew = &H01000400
Const adDelete = &H01000800
Const adUpdate = &H01008000
Const adBookmark = &H00002000
Const adApproxPosition = &H00004000
Const adUpdateBatch = &H00010000
Const adResync = &H00020000
Const adNotify = &H00040000

'---- LockTypeEnum Values ----
Const adLockReadOnly = 1
Const adLockPessimistic = 2
Const adLockOptimistic = 3
Const adLockBatchOptimistic = 4

The following is from a file <UserSession.html> that is included on each page:
'CHECK TO SEE IF THE SESSIONID HAS BEEN SAVED TO 'CUSTOMERS DATABASE'
'IF NOT THEN ADD IT
'IF IT IS PRESENT THEN MOVE ON
sessRS.Open "Select * From usersession where sessionID = '"&thisnewsessionid&"'", sessConn, adOpenDynamic, adLockPessimistic, adCMDText

if sessrs.eof then

sessRS.AddNew
sessRS("sessionID")= myusersessionid
'sessRS("userdate")= date()
'sessRS("usertime")= time()
'sessRS("system")= thishost

sessRS.Update
sessRs.close

sessConn.close
set sessrs = nothing
set sessconn = nothing

end if

The prb i have with the above code is that if the session varibale exists the Conn does not close. Can this be a possible cause for the prb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back