Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

site check please 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be mean or seem rude but my personal opinion is that it needs a lot of work.

All of my reasons would be personal opinions but nonetheless..

Loose the background.

Add some white space to lighten it up a little.

The rollovers are very buggy, they show up in diferent coordinates on each rollover.

Happy customers make a happy website, show some more imagery.

Good luck....

---------------------------------------------

glenmac, Hi, sorry to say this but I agree with virt2002 here. The site needs a lot of work, and you can start by taking virt2002's suggestions.

You can also try making the site a little longer in width. Try to place the sub-menu directly below the main menu choice. Like "Tours" sub-menu appears underneath "Terms".

Also the "Contact" form goes through even when no name is entered, how do you know who to respond back to?

Hope these helps...

[sub]I have this little thing, Advanced Delusionary Schizophrenia with Involuntary Narcissistic Rage. It's no big deal really...[/sub]

Have to agree with the other guys, I'm afraid. It's horrible. A few points...
[ol]
[li]Lose the ticker and that swirly animated text thing. Irritating, waste of bandwidth, and the No. 1 way to say "this is an amateur website".[/li]

[li]Lose that oppressive dark blue background[/li]

[li]Put some content on your home page. You need to give people something to attract them deeper into the site, and also something for search engines to get their teeth into.[/li]

[li]On the subject of search engines, using Javascript to do all your navigation will make it impossible for search engines to spider your site. Try putting your pages through to see how they look to spiders and other text-based folk, currently they look blank!.[/li]

[li]That fancy dissolve transform you get when you ask for contact details is another waste of time - why make the web slower than it already is?[/li]

[li]Using an image to show the contact details mean that people using screen readers can't see it (it seems to me that blind people might like coach tours, since they can't drive themselves). It also means you can't cut & paste the information for later reference (like if I was shortlisting companies for my holiday, sorry ETA's off the list).[/li]

[li]You need to look into driving at least part of your site from a database, unless you're prepared to spend a lot of time fiddling with HTML files. People are going to want to examine the schedule of upcoming tours - When's the next tour to X?, What tours are happening next week?, How often do you go to Y? Easily managed with a database, a lot of work with static pages.[/li]
[/ol]
That should be enough to be getting on with!

-- Chris Hunt

It's not horrible, but for now, I'd stick to a traditional two or three column design.

The swirling text feature was a good try, but distracting - it ended up blocking the link line on my browser.

Your ticker-tape is working fine. I'd keep it.

I think that there is a lot of information that you could include on that first page (espesically pictures, maps, etc.) other than the repetitive background.

Keep trying, though!

I think the ticker is fine, the circle/twirly thingy has to go, I'm on a LAN and it took forever to do what it was supposed to do.

Background... remember to break them up. The reason there is no solid color lanolium floor/counter, solid color carpet or anything similar is because one color is very hard to look at. Add another color that is very similar to main color in some sort of soft pattern that helps to break up the site.

On your secondary pages (tours, etc), the lighter blue is too bright, especially with the dark blue behind it. It makes it difficult to read. again, break it up a little or darken it some.

Also, your e-mail form, watch carefully how you use yellow text. Yellow text is very hard to read on anything execpt a nearly black backdrop.

Overall, I don't think its all that bad. Break up the color some, then, ask some older people (who are more likely to take bus tours of the types you're offering I believe). If they like the layout/accessibility/color scheme, well then you should be pretty well off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back