Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Check Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

esearing

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2000
US
in the catagory of useless personal web sites, I have created my "Promotional" web site. Please visit and feel free to comment. This will be a year long project and I would like some early feedback about the site.
Love it or hate it?
Colors, content, navigation, etc...

P.S. On the Ideas page please feel free to add any ideas you may have. Instructions are in the "About Site" section.

Thanks in advance !
eSearing.com
a work in progress

Is this the web address you want us to review: Because I see nothing there but an flash index page with four links: Resume, Photography, Ideas, Flash Samples... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

The flash index page indicates you do not have the FLASH player installed on your browser. Don't most people have the basic plugins these days (i.e. Flash, QuickTime, Acrobat reader, etc...)? Or am I just technologically spoiled?

I'll add instructions to the HTML so that the individual who doesn't have the Flash plugin will know what to do.

Thanks for response. eSearing.com
a work in progress

I do have Flash installed on my PC, both at work and at school... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

If someone's seeing the flash index page then they must have flash otherwise they wouldn't see the flash....

Anyway:

1) Ideas page is blank.

2) Where you have 'mouseOver' on (for example) "mouseover thumbs for images" in the photograph section you should use onClick (onPress). When you mouse over a thumb it starts downloading the image Ok but as soon as you move the mouse away (and acidenlty move it over another thumb) it starts downloading that one, very confusing.

3) Open in the same window, why do you have some that open in _self and others that open in _blank...?

4) When you go back to the home page it starts back at the intro again. I know it's small and doesn't take too long to play through but can be a little tire some after a while.

Hope this helps....
funkymonk B-)

rod@sameplanet.co.uk
[on it's way!]

Some gripes
The thumbs for the photos were blanks. I didn't like that too much. You didn't know if you were downloading until the photo came up. Photo sizes were okay but still slow to load.

The use of flags on the resume page is confusing. It worked okay but not sure of the relationship. Certainly better than the blanks on the photo page.

I liked the flash of the train and the one of the red star. I don't know how to program flash yet so I can't really say if this is great or not but they impressed me. Especially the train. Maybe impressed isn't the proper word. Pleased would be better.

Intro loaded okay but I found that the navigation arrows were too much to the right. I didn't see them until I opened it full screen. (800 x 600). Same problem about the navigation on the photo page. They went over my horizon when I scrolled down to look at the photo. Maybe you should limit the size of the photo to something smaller. I looked at the size but forget what it was.

Overall impression was favorable, despite what I've written.

euro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back