Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Check - OGUN STUDIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Neil,

VERY impressive. I only have one criticism, the text is tiny and VERY difficult to read!
Apart from that its excellent.

É

endamcg-logo1b.gif

Love the site...awesome work, but I agree with cian the text is way too small...on my moniter (I have it set to 800 resolution) its so hard to read anything...
I would say try making the text, images a little sharper...it looks kinda fuzzy to me...
Good job... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

HOLY SMOKES!!!

EXTREMELY GOOD!!! I GIVE YOU 10/5 STARS ON THAT PAGE.

3 THINGS HOWEVER:
- the whole site takes a really long time to load on my connection (I use ADSL)
- transition between gallery pictures in flash mode takes along time
- I don't know how you managed to get the flash file to shrink like that so that someone can view it at 640*480 but as the others said, it is illegible.

OTHER THAN THAT VERY VERY VERY GOOD!!!

NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

Firstly thanks for the great comments!!!

I would like to answer some questions...

1/ RESOLUTION - The site automatically adjusts in size because I want to make it available to all resolutions but at the same time make the site stretch the width of the screen... However, as you have found out there are many drawbacks, the main one being that the text can't be read in 800 x 600. From my site stats I am told that there are more people viewing the site in 1024 x 768 than 800 x 600!

I have only two options left…

I could keep it the way it is.

Or make it only available to viewers with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher (in this case an error message would appear before it begins loading stating that a higher resolution is needed!

2/ LOADING TIME - I am really sorry about the loading time, however this is due to 'freewebs'. Freewebs are my free provider and they are really really SLOW! (My web site is only 200kb in size...not that big really?!?)

...However...this address is temporary as my domain name will be available on Wednesday, The domain name that I have just bought is ImaxStudios.com rather than the old Ogun Studios.

:: NOTE ::
The overall site design has not changed, just the name!

3/ GALLERY - The flash 6 gallery loads the images on demand, again, as I am using freewebs (temporarily) this will be slow. The flash 5 gallery preloads all of the images first and then you scroll through them, this is a little faster than flash 6 but then you do have to wait for it to preload! The html version is the fastest, however it doesn't look as good. If you just want a quick glance then this is best!

I hope I have answered the questions well and I am pleased that you like the site! :)

Neil
OGUN STUDIOS

"Or make it only available to viewers with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher (in this case an error message would appear before it begins loading stating that a higher resolution is needed!"

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT DO THAT, YOU WILL HAVE TO FIGURE SOMETHING OUT FOR USERS WITH 800*600.

Not sure where your stats are coming from but it is still pretty close b/t 800*600 and 1024*768. The push is towards 1024*768 but there are still alot of people that have small monitors and can only view at 800*600 MAX.

I have one suggestion. Make a flash movie for both reslutions. Have a javascript or server side script that determines the resolution, then depending on what they have, show the appropriate movie.

Also do you have an HTML site that users can see if they don't have or refuse to get the plug-in needed???

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

All I have to say is I hope when I grow up I can create sites like that.

Awesome site ogun! [bomb]
I may not get it the 1st or 2nd time,
but how sweet that 15th time can be.

Hi Neil,

FYI I only viewed it in 1024*768 and I couldn't read the text. It needs to be legible in all main resolutions but even designing for 1024 won't solve the problem!

Let us know how you get on,

É

endamcg-logo1b.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back