Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sis 7018 Audio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

satpach

Technical User
Sep 23, 2002
DE
I have an ASUS system with a Sis sound card. I have a peculiar problem. When I install the Driver Sis 7018 driver and go through all the steps, the last one being restart computer, I get perfect sound. But once the computer is shut down thereafter, the sound quality becomes horrible, with a distint metallic tone. Once again, if I install the driver, and restart the system, the sound is normal. But only till such time as I dont shut down.

Is this normal? Is this a Hardware or Software issue? Would be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks

It sounds like a software problem. Sometimes additional sound drivers from a previous card can be the problem. Some times commands in the autoexec.bat, or config.sys files can be the problem. Sometimes the problem is an IRQ conflict, other times it can be something in your registry that is not right, or reset at reboot that is causing the problem. Some times the problem is as simple as the how the software driver is installed. Some sound card drivers will not install properly if they are not installing in a precise manner. Often the instructions for the install are incorrect. I would uninstall all sound drivers, go into system remove the sound card. Go to bios and check all settings related to your sound card. Then install the drivers on the hard drive and try the install from the hard disk. Note: I once had this CD-ROM drive that I though was working fine but was reading CD-ROMs improperly. While most of my software seemed to work, I would encounter all kinds of strange errors. When I replaced the drive all of the strange software errors disappeared- after I had reinstalled all of the previously installed software that had been corrupted by the bad CD-ROM drive. Last, I have had sound cards that came with install software that would not work properly, or at all and have had to search for and use other updated drivers- located at the sound card vendor web site, or other driver web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back